• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fender Tex-Mex pickup question

Cliff Gress

I have a MIM Tele with Tex-Mex pickups. Fender is also putting these into MIM Strats. I don't own a Strat and wonder would a Strat with Tex-Mex pickups would sound similar to my Tele?

Thanks.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I have a MIM Tele with Tex-Mex pickups. Fender is also putting these into MIM Strats. I don't own a Strat and wonder would a Strat with Tex-Mex pickups would sound similar to my Tele?

Thanks.

I don't know the answer, but I sure hope not! :wah

Kris Ford

Tex Mex Strat set is actually a nice set, Cliff. (for me,and through a Marshall type) Great name for a pickup set too IMHO.

Bridge is a lil hotter, (spicy part maybe?) so really sounds good hitting the pre-amp of a dimed JMP. Neck and middle (RW) may be a lil more hot than the Standard Wind, but not by much..(maybe just a lil hot sauce sprinkled on them?) Nice notch tones too. Goes from SRV to Deep Purple.

I have a set in a 50's Roadworn Strat, very impressed actually.

Neck REALLY has that hollow, flutey, blowing into a Coke bottle Strat tone! I can really nail that when picking closer to the bridge, with the neck pickup.

Specs:

Alnico 5
Polysol-coated
DC Resistance: Neck: 6.5K, Middle: 6.4K, Bridge: 7.4K

Cliff Gress

Thanks Kris. Funny I was thinking about the MIM Roadworn Strats today.