• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

58 Tweed Pro-Amp opportunity

B Ingram

... after again telling him, that I'd basically be buying the Pro on a "wing and a prayer", I asked what he thought of the $150 range, and he was receptive. So, I'm thinking that in this price range, it's become somewhat of a no-brainer. ...
I think it's hard to say no to $150 for any functioning tube amp with a cabinet & a 15. I'd buy it at that price, no doubt.

Wally

I have seen more than one 58-58 Pro with an 8087 Power trannie. If you read my earlier post, I said "This one should be an 8 ohm output". Two things Wally, you continue to have an ax to grind with me, you dont know everything. Do some research and you will find Pro's were given Bassman Power trannies. Those have nothing to do with output trannies ohm reading.
If you want to take this off the forum, let me know. I had enough of your bullshit

Mapleflame.....I apologize for misreading that post of yours. I read OT...old eyes. I don't have any axe to grind with you.
I made a mistake as regards the OT versus the PT.
As for the PT.... I have owned 5F6A's and I have owned some tweed Pro's. I haven't seen an 8087 in a tweed pro. The voltages would be about 40 volts higher...and I would have noticed that. All of the charts I have say that the Pro should have the 6516, and that is my 5B5, my 5C5 and my 5E5A Pros had in them. IF Fender put the 8087 in some Pros, fine by me. I haven't seen that.....but I haven't seen everything.....just like I don't know everything. I do know that if a 5E5A Pro came around with an 8087 PT in it, I would be looking very, very hard at it. These charts I have do show that the 5F4 Super could carry the 8087 although the Supers prior to that would carry the 6516. Given that, I could accept that a 5E5A Pro, the Super 5F4 or even the 5E7 Bandmaster might carry the 8087...even though these charts call for the 5E7 to carry the 67233 PT. I sold my '59 5E7's long ago so I can't check that.
Maple, we all have our experiences. We all make mistakes. Hopefully we all learn...I keep trying. Nothing in the Fender factory was written in stone, and I can only go by what I have seen and what is contained in the resources I can find.
As for those Ebay amps, IF I were looking to buy either one of them, I would have to see some very good shots of those connections made from those 8087 PT's. Fwiw, IF the PT's were 6516's I would also have to see those same solder connections.
Have a good day......

iismet

I'm new here. My take is a little different than others. For me this is a no brainer. Purchase it quickly. I would have offered 1K the way it is described here. I just purchased my 3rd vintage and it is a 59 PRO. I paid considerably more for mine and it went right from the box to my amp tech. I am a player so I purchase players. I have them gone thru and assure they are original spec - not necessarily original parts. I have been fortunate the transformers have been original, but if they were not, I would purchase vintage spec from a reputable supplier especially at this price point. I always run NOS valves which are getting more difficult to source by the day. Mine are all players and were players long before I got them. I clean up the tweed with scissors, repair cabinet as needed, and paint them with clear flat poly finishes to preserve whatever is left. My 58 Super is missing a lot of tweed. It is gorgeous and the sound - oh my. I have been fortunate to have period correct speakers, but not necessarily for the year the amp was produced. Guy's blew them up and fixed them. Just fix it and it will be heaven. If you have to purchase a new speaker, Weber are great, but it could take a year or so to break it in -just keep playing it.

There is nothing like these amps. I jam mine all of time. The tone is incredible and at 26 watts (Super and Pro) it just doesn't get any better. I have poured liquor thru the Super more than once (shattered the power tubes $$$$$$).

If 150 is real - you just hit the lottery. Fix it (preferably by a qualified tech) - if you don't like it, put it back on the market - you'll have no trouble.

I run - 47 Dual Pro, 58 Super, 59 Pro

Incredible stuff - they make me smile every time.

That is an amazing price. You are getting a significant piece of musical history. Leo was one of those.

chr