• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sound of a Les Paul Supreme question(s).

markblack

I own a 2006 Les Paul supreme and I love how it feels (I even love the over-the-top look - don't judge me).

But I find that the sound is very bright.

Also it's like the low E and A strings almost have a metallic sound to them - not really fret buzz (though I guess it is) almost a jangle. (sorry I'm terrible at describing sounds) I don't think the set up is fine but it just seems a bit strange.

I've toyed with the idea of changing the pickup (currently the stock 490 and 498) anyone any thoughts on this?

Sorry if that's a bit of a ramble - any advice / thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Mark

07e3a00d16.jpg

clearmudd

:welcometo the forum, and that is a fine looking Supreme you got there. I would try playing around with the tone controls and amp settings before messing with the pick-ups, but that's just me.:salude

DanD

Have you had a pro set-up done yet? If not I'd start there.

After a good set-up I'd start playing with pup heights. Closer to strings will yield a brighter in yer face tone. Lowering the pups should warm them up some. The 498s are hot pups. They will tend to be brighter but can be tamed by lowering the pup and backing off the tone control. The 490 should yield warmer tones. I personally like the 490R 490T combo. I'm not a big fan of the 498 tho.

Like was said below I'd play with it before swapping anything around. I'm betting you can find your tone in that Supreme with a little patience.

Welcome! :salude

frankr442

I don't post a lot because I don't really know a lot, but I know what I like, and I like that guitar. If someone said it was "over the top", they were probably jealous.
Regarding tone, maybe as simple as a different brand of strings? Try the simple (cheap) stuff first.

Elmore

If the 490 and 498 pickups are too bright, then my guess is that you are fighting the primary tone of the guitar, not the pickups. See how bright it is unplugged.

markblack

Thanks for the replies.

And the welcomes.

Might try some 11's on it.

And play some more with pickup heights.

clearmudd

DanD is on to something there, simple height adjustment and / or pole screws will do wonders. :)

DallasK

I have a 91 Custom with a 498T in the bridge and I found it to be ear shreddingly bright through my Marshall. B-10, M-5, T-3
I had 9-42 slinkys on through the hardtail.
Today I switched to pure 10-45 Nickel XL strings and lowered the hardtail all the way to the bottom and over-wrapped the strings.

HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

Not so bright anymore, tons of warm tone and easier bends.
I highly recommend over-wrapping the tail and using Pure Nickel strings

EPN110.jpg

Last edited:

JeffBlue

I have a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme that I have totally modded. I couldn't bond with the stock pickups so I changed them. Seymour Duncan 59/JB gold, gold metal pickup surrounds, brass tailpiece, roller bridge, Tone Pros locking studs, Schaller gold pickup selector switch tip and strap locks and Optima 24k gold strings. Some say this is just too much bling.........I like it because there isn't another one in the world such as this.
d642ad87-5191-4862-babf-d51f1168ebc0_zpspqnlz1we.jpg

6dabafaa-c7b4-40dc-865d-402ed6c1e7a7_zpszn9ryy9j.jpg

Last edited:

renderit

I don't post a lot because I don't really know a lot, but I know what I like, and I like that guitar. If someone said it was "over the top", they were probably jealous.
Regarding tone, maybe as simple as a different brand of strings? Try the simple (cheap) stuff first.

I post tons and I know NOTHING! Don't ever let that scare you little bro!

El Gringo

I have a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme that I have totally modded. I couldn't bond with the stock pickups so I changed them. Seymour Duncan 59/JB gold, gold metal pickup surrounds, brass tailpiece, roller bridge, Tone Pros locking studs, Schaller gold pickup selector switch tip and strap locks and Optima 24k gold strings. Some say this is just too much bling.........I like it because there isn't another one in the world such as this.
d642ad87-5191-4862-babf-d51f1168ebc0_zpspqnlz1we.jpg

6dabafaa-c7b4-40dc-865d-402ed6c1e7a7_zpszn9ryy9j.jpg
That is a most outstanding supreme

deytookerjaabs

I'm going to sound crazy here and I dig all the aforementioned suggestions (especially regarding swapping pickups or at least back off the dial a bit).

I see quite a few folks feeling like LPC's and Supremes are pretty bright by nature. I don't know if it's the rigidity of the neck (under less compression I'd figure due to ebony being more rigid that RW, this is crazy speculation) gives it a different feel/response, but I do think jumbo frets play a part. I've done many a refret with jumbos and usually conclude the guitar to be a bit brighter/snappier. Meanwhile, I think if you had the frets taken down to a height closer to 50's/60's wire the guitar might mellow out a hair, then add some mellow(er) strings. IMO good ole .011 slinkys can mellow things out a bit on top of that.

JeffBlue

Jeff,
I've always thought that top was sick!!
Has always reminded me of the Beck Burst.:salude

I see your point and agree with you. Thank you. I bought the Supreme sight unseen through GC. I would most assuredly own this guitar all of my life and hand it down to my kin. Hopefully they will love it as much as I do.:teeth
JeffBeckMarshallsandLesPaul.jpg
I appreciate your kind words. All the best to you Kris.