• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Those 1960 Les Paul/SGs where can they be?

Kris Ford

More pics of 0 8765:
l1jcpj46fwexm3affi5l.jpg

ynbasmzyacjnyt90gukd.jpg

zrticeephlea7qx2nohl.jpg

The pic that allowed me to match them.:spabout
tvyfirnju9ckvulqn2ge.jpg

Last edited:

blueline

That is indeed a match, Kris, ....cannot have enough pictures of 0-8765. It remains intact demonstating all the 1960 features with the long tail guard, brown case, heel joint and no "les Paul" on the TRC.

blueline

Ok I finally obtained a closer look at the TRC for 0-8869 that Kris discovered.
Although presented as all original I suspect the TRC it is not an original; take a look:

Gibson60SGStdCH08869_6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is not a 61 TRC with that large script and narrow bezel. At first I thought it might a USA narrow bezel one but the script is too large. Interesting I think I found a match and it with the 1968 Les Paul gold top:

first%20jr%20boy%20headstock%20flower%20trc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

another 1968 Gold top Les paul:

DSC05492_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I suspect that this was originally a plain no script TRC like the others but someone didn't like the plain cover. A few more photos of 0-8869

Gibson60SGStdCH08869_18.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This inside shot confirms this not a original case as neither the brown nor the black case had that pad position on the cover and the big one on the bottom. Not for a sideways vibrola model.

Gibson60SGStdCH08869_2q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As Kris pointed out some features on 0-8869 are totally unique such a this tenon cover that is also seen on 0-8765. I had missed that feature until 0-8869 came along. Keep em coming....

Three13

I still have 0-8878 - everything is 100% original, including the case, although I replaced the guts of the sideways tremolo with Danelectro's aluminum block, which dramatically improved the guitar's tuning stability, tone, and sustain.

blueline

I still have 0-8878 - everything is 100% original, including the case, although I replaced the guts of the sideways tremolo with Danelectro's aluminum block, which dramatically improved the guitar's tuning stability, tone, and sustain.

Wow! sounds like a real beauty. Can you post a picture? I would love to see the detail on this one......

blueline

Here’s some info on 0 8875 some may not be aware of.

https://www.facebook.com/guitarsyoucantrust/posts/949265351917627

Richard, thanks for this link. I had heard about a 1960 that had an amazing repair but had never seen the photos nor did I know the serial number. This is the guitar and indeed that is a great invisible repair. I hope wherever this guitar goes, the repair history follows it. But a rare 1960 Les Paul has been restored and that is a good thing. From your photos, I am thinking these 1960 Les Pauls/SGs are not good candidates for Grovers...such a nasty break.

FlyingFred67

Here's 0 8869:
Gibson60SGStdCH08869_9.jpg

Gibson60SGStdCH08869_7.jpg

http://shop.guitarpoint.de/de/vintage-gibson-/1960-gibson-les-paul-sg-standard-cherry-2xpafs

Has the funky notched tenon cover:
Gibson60SGStdCH08869_15.jpg

...and the same neck joint:
Gibson60SGStdCH08869_8.jpg

The USA '61 Reissue SG neck join is VERY similar..just a slightly smaller heel, but the same concept for sure:
gibson-sg-61-reissue-heritage-cherry-401706.jpg

Maybe this where Gibson got the idea for the Reissue neck join..which is oddly vintage correct (ish)..no lip like the Historic version...
Interestingly, they list the pot codes...134 60 43 late in the year for sure...week 43 of '60 was October 24-30th..and normally pot codes that late could be the next years model..but if this was new..maybe they rushed them? There seems to be an almost experimental nature with these early ones...with the different tenon covers and different guard shape..like they were trying to figure out what they were going to do with the dang thing..

VERY possible these LP/SGs were completed in December. A ledger scan would be killer for these to see when they went out the door..but was very late in '60 for sure..if not early '61..(completed guitars built in 60, shipped in the very first days/weeks of '61..still "new" by all means..
This one is claimed to be a '61...and has the same pot codes... SN#2224
Note guard shape:
Gibson61SGStdCH_2224_24.jpg

And heel:
Gibson61SGStdCH_2224_8.jpg

Now...might this mean that they MAY have had the SN# stamped in late 1960. but didn't ship until maybe right after Xmas, or right after New Year's Day 1961?:hmm
Hi I owned 0 8868 for a while and can confirm that potcodes are 27th week of 1960 (1346027) not week 43 so a lot earlier than assumed here. The trussrod cover was indeed not original to the guitar and probably a late 1960´s early Les Paul Goldtop Cover as also assumed a bit under this post. It is very possible that it had a blank Burst trussrodcover originally. Unopened PAF´s read 7,72 and 7,87 Kohms. The guitar is in Germany with a SG Collector actually. An amazing sounding very resonant example!

Dr. Jimmy

Sorry for bumping a very old thread, but I was researching my LPSG and it led me here. I am the owner of s/n 0 8779. Bought it from Guitar Oasis in Huntington Beach CA around 1992 or so. It has replacement tuners and I believe the pickups had been replaced as well. The pots have a 1960 date code and the rest of the hardware appears original. As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will put a bunch up here.

blueline

Sorry for bumping a very old thread, but I was researching my LPSG and it led me here. I am the owner of s/n 0 8779. Bought it from Guitar Oasis in Huntington Beach CA around 1992 or so. It has replacement tuners and I believe the pickups had been replaced as well. The pots have a 1960 date code and the rest of the hardware appears original. As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will put a bunch up here.

Wow..Hello Dr Jimmy...please do post , lots of pics please. Is your Les Paul 0-8779 the same one that is referenced in the book by Robb Lawrence The Les Paul Legacy?

Dr. Jimmy

Wow..Hello Dr Jimmy...please do post , lots of pics please. Is your Les Paul 0-8779 the same one that is referenced in the book by Robb Lawrence The Les Paul Legacy?

i’m not familiar with that book, but there is a pic of my guitar up near the top of this thread, which I’m guessing is from that book? I took a bunch of pics yesterday with my phone, at some point today I’ll try to post them.

At some point (before I purchased it) it looks as though someone had the neck repaired or reset, and in doing so removed the “ledge” at the neck/body joint. It’s still there a little bit and you can see where it was refinished. Who knows how long ago it was done, I’m sure no one was thinking vintage value at that time......

blueline

Thanks for posting your pictures Dr Jimmy. I see the pot codes right on the top...indicating July, 1960...very cool. You are right many people did not consider an Les Paul shaped like an SG to be of much value especially in the 70s and 80s. But course everyone wanted the parts as they would the same as a 1960 Les Paul burst. I am very glad this much has survived. What kind of pickups are in it now? Is the control cavity the same as 61 LP/SGs with the orange drop caps? Is that bridge a wireless one? Is that neck slim back to front?

How does it play right now?

I know I have a million questions but this is exciting.

Dr. Jimmy

Thanks for posting your pictures Dr Jimmy. I see the pot codes right on the top...indicating July, 1960...very cool. You are right many people did not consider an Les Paul shaped like an SG to be of much value especially in the 70s and 80s. But course everyone wanted the parts as they would the same as a 1960 Les Paul burst. I am very glad this much has survived. What kind of pickups are in it now? Is the control cavity the same as 61 LP/SGs with the orange drop caps? Is that bridge a wireless one? Is that neck slim back to front?

How does it play right now?

I know I have a million questions but this is exciting.

Here is the cavity, looks like a regular ol' ceramic cap and an older poly, don't know if they're original (I doubt it, they were probably swapped with the pickups). Not too familiar with a "wireless bridge" if you could explain, I'll gladly take a look, same with the pickups, I'll get under the hood in a day or to and see what they are. IIRC I think they are early 70's vintage.....

Dr. Jimmy

Here is the control cavity, looks like one ceramic cap, possibly original and one later period poly type cap which may have been replaced when the pickups were swapped. IIRC the pickups are early 70's vintage, I will check later to verify this. I'm unfamiliar with "wireless bridge" but if someone explains it, I can check on that as well. Neck is rather thin and fast, plays great. I used to gig with I a lot in the 90's, but have since semi-retired it out of caution...