• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Project Refin: 1961 Les Paul

CBRmatt600

This is a fun thread to watch!:dude:

Thanks! Glad to share the process. Aside from playing and collecting, this is my favorite hobby and I am grateful to get the opportunity to do some surgery on some beautiful vintage Gibsons. The fact that these will go on to be played for another 50 years is very satisfying.

CBRmatt600

I've got all of my plugs in. Two for the aftermarket stop tail that was added, and one previous plug (made of plywood) that was added previously to fill the toggle hole that controlled the third pickup. I think it was quite a nice grain match.

C21CFBF6-A6D2-4C06-8C46-BD5805B9402B.jpg

2066811C-47F0-4FE7-8DA2-F4916EDB93DD.jpg

E00C70A7-F28F-49E6-87E5-B76B064AFCC9.jpg

theanalogdream

Very nice! I love watching this kind of project- especially under the hands of someone who shows real care!

J.D.

Pelham Blue would cover those plugs up so nicely. Just sayin :jim

CBRmatt600

Thanks guys! And Pelham blue would make this job a hell of a lot easier that's for sure. The owner is pretty dead set on cherry though. I think Jumping@Shadows just did a killer Pelham Blue SG actually.

But since we are doing cherry, here's where she's at now- in the tanning bed. Since the new wood had to be level sanded, it lost a lot of that aged golden color and is more of a pinkish hue. I'll leave the fill areas exposed to UV light for several days and hopefully get some of that color back. Starting with uniform raw wood is much more authentic (and frankly less of a pain in the ass) than trying to hide them with an airbrush. Plus, when this wood does age naturally, if you shade with color these spots are going to end up darker than you intended. Better to start with a smooth canvas.

BD96C310-2FCC-4A3C-A9DD-8AD822973573.jpg

djd100

Beautiful work!

Am I to assume that you're filling the TP holes because it's getting a Vibrola?

Nice...

Musicman

I just stumbled on thread and can't wait to see the finished product! :salude

CBRmatt600

Beautiful work!

Am I to assume that you're filling the TP holes because it's getting a Vibrola?

Nice...

Oh yes, it's going back to stock and getting a sidepull.

One day in the tanning bed evened things out a good bit. It could go a little further though.

F81FA2FB-D160-4251-950A-08A5170307CA.jpg

Toecutter

The wood restoration is looking good. One question, if you're putting the guitar back to stock and installing a sideways vibrola, why did you leave the large holes near the bridge pickup route? The original SG/Les Paul's had ABR-1 bridges.

CBRmatt600

The wood restoration is looking good. One question, if you're putting the guitar back to stock and installing a sideways vibrola, why did you leave the large holes near the bridge pickup route? The original SG/Les Paul's had ABR-1 bridges.

Good question. They are getting filled as well. At first we thought of reusing the newer style with a modified tailpiece but he decided to go full original ABR-1. I've got two more plugs to cut

MapleFlame

Yes, I love these threads too, been awhile since I've restored a fiddle. Very good work on this guitar. I'm concerned that the owner might not like seeing the repairs with a Cherry finish. The wood replacement is as good as it gets. I too like originality, but I hope he knows the limitations of what can be done with the finish

Kris Ford

Yes, I love these threads too, been awhile since I've restored a fiddle. Very good work on this guitar. I'm concerned that the owner might not like seeing the repairs with a Cherry finish. The wood replacement is as good as it gets. I too like originality, but I hope he knows the limitations of what can be done with the finish

Fortunately, the only witness line will by right in line with the pickup rings..with the guard and the rings installed it will cover a lot of the repair..it will be JUST that ditch between the pickups..just about the size of a humbucker cover.

And yes, yes it has Mister!

Been a while since we've seen any of your handywork..how'd that 'bird turn out?

CBRmatt600

Well thank you very much. I have explained to him that it will certainly not be factory perfect, but as Kris said, between the pickup rings and the sidepull trem, a lot of this will ultimately be covered up. I am pretty handy with an airbrush so I can do a little more blending, but you're right, there are definitely limitations. So far his feedback is that it already looks better than he ever imagined it could and he's a real down to earth guy who is knowledgeable so I think he is going to be pleased with the end result.

This is may be a bit anal, and possibly not worth it, but I was thinking of mixing some of the sawdust from sanding this body with grain filler, and using that to fill the seams if all the plugs. Sanding that back, using a hobby knife to connect my grain lines across the seam, and then using my cherry grain filler to fill the body. I'm thinking that would prevent darker filler from highlighting the shape of the plugs.

J.D.

Well thank you very much. I have explained to him that it will certainly not be factory perfect, but as Kris said, between the pickup rings and the sidepull trem, a lot of this will ultimately be covered up. I am pretty handy with an airbrush so I can do a little more blending, but you're right, there are definitely limitations. So far his feedback is that it already looks better than he ever imagined it could and he's a real down to earth guy who is knowledgeable so I think he is going to be pleased with the end result.

This is may be a bit anal, and possibly not worth it, but I was thinking of mixing some of the sawdust from sanding this body with grain filler, and using that to fill the seams if all the plugs. Sanding that back, using a hobby knife to connect my grain lines across the seam, and then using my cherry grain filler to fill the body. I'm thinking that would prevent darker filler from highlighting the shape of the plugs.

These repair patches will never be invisible, and as the lacquer cures and shrinks. the outlines of each patch will become even more visible. That is reality. I applaud your efforts here but you need to be realistic about the end result (which I more or less believe you are).

MapleFlame

Fortunately, the only witness line will by right in line with the pickup rings..with the guard and the rings installed it will cover a lot of the repair..it will be JUST that ditch between the pickups..just about the size of a humbucker cover.

And yes, yes it has Mister!

Been a while since we've seen any of your handywork..how'd that 'bird turn out?

It came out great, did have some shrink back on headstock revealing the repairs, but it was a very very bad break and previous repair. The bridge pickup really punches and as J45 always said, neck pickups are where they prevail. Good to hear from you. Yes this SG project is awesome