• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Engaging Bypass on 2013 Traditional Pro II

edmaestro

Hello, All! I just acquired a lovely 2013 Les Paul Traditional Pro II via Ebay, where it was described as a Les Paul Standard, with a phony model number used in the listing. All that said, I love the guitar anyway, but have a question about it.

As readers of this forum probably know, this guitar comes with a 10dB boost circuit, activated by a push/pull on one of the tone knobs, and adjusted via a pot in the cavity. But all the stuff I've read about this guitar says something about true bypass, which, depending on what you read, either a) is activated by turning off the boost function, or b)deactivates the boost function. This is confusing to me. Is anyone familiar with how to turn the bypass on and off, and exactly what its relationship to the boost is?

Thanks so much!

clearmudd

All i know about the boost switch is if the battery is removed it will function as a kill switch, i know nothing of a bypass. Traditional pro II's have push/push controls not push/pull like a Standard and '13 Standards do have a bypass switch for the bridge pick-up only and functions from the bridge tone control.:salude

edmaestro

Thanks for your reply! I only asked the question because I keep seeing this as part of the promotional material for this model:

"The boost circuit has a user-adjustable 10-dB boost for added power and frequency range for solos, single-note picking and dirty chording (depending on amp settings) and features true bypass that disengages the boost completely, ensuring pure passive Les Paul tone."

Pellman73

Hi-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JYpcHsB_AM8

this seems like a pretty good overview of that guitar. Sounds like it's just like hitting a boost pedal that has true bypass. Engaged boost is on and not engaged the circuit is completely disengaged from the circuit--so it's truly bypassed. That's my take on it anyhow.

:salude
I have a reb beach ibanez explorer Koa that has a similar boost function. :couch. It's a fun thing to have particularly if you are playing live and want that extra... push over the cliff (a la Nigel) --for a solo and you aren't near a pedal board. Your band thinks it has you where it wants you in the mix but nope! You have a little mini secret nitrous button. Not that I am in that position mucH but if you are its something you will use and think is handy.

did you put a new battery in? If not if there is a dead battery it might be hard to tell a difference.

edmaestro

Yes, that makes perfect sense as you explain it, and the video helped a lot too.

I'd like to say thanks to you all for responding so quickly and thoughtfully to my question. You've made my first day here a rewarding experience and I'm most appreciative!

Ed