• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD...

DoubleBoogie

I've been intrigued by these D'Angelichos for a while now and finally pulled the trigger on this EX175 Deluxe. This is a cool guitar with a 6 way selector switch that allows for neck, bridge, or both pickups in either humbucker mode or coil tapped mode. Well made instrument and a nice value for the money. Very inspiring to play. You can get nice jazz tones from the neck and tele like tones on the bridge. Its hollow and will feedback at elevated volumes, but just below that point, it is easily controllable. I wasn't crazy about the Midnight Matte finish, but once I got it and saw it in person, I fell in love with the color. Feels great, was set up dead nuts on when I got it and stays in tune for very long periods of time. :dude: It really makes me wonder how the older more expensive guitars play and sound.

Pellman73

Awesome. I like that finish too

i love the Art Deco aesthetic-- I've got tuners like that on my Gretsch white falcon

is that the truss rod coming out the top of the headstock?

DoubleBoogie

Awesome. I like that finish too

i love the Art Deco aesthetic-- I've got tuners like that on my Gretsch white falcon

is that the truss rod coming out the top of the headstock?

No. That's purely for looks. You access the truss rod through the truss rod cover on the neck

renderit

I like the art deco feel. Actually that's why I like Kansas City. Lots of Art Deco. Awesomeness.

Brian Krashpad

Congrats! Is it a coil tap (less windings on humbucker) or a coil split (single coil versus humbucker)?

renderit

The more I look at that damn finish the more I want it. The fat body maybe not, but a nice thinline? Love it...

DoubleBoogie

Congrats! Is it a coil tap (less windings on humbucker) or a coil split (single coil versus humbucker)?

I have actually never heard of the use of coil tapping to be anything other than splitting the pickups from a humbucker to only a single coil. And to answer your question, yes, that is what is happening with this guitar. The six way switch operates as a you would think a 3-way would but in two parallel positions. The switch is either oriented slanted up toward the player (humbucker mode) or slanted downward away from the player (single coil mode). The bridge pickup in single coil mode can get close to Tele tones. The output in single coil modes is greater than in humbucking mode. Because of the nature of the pickups, the humbucker mode is not as fat as what you would expect from a normal humbucker. More clarity and brightness in the humbucker modes.

DoubleBoogie

The more I look at that damn finish the more I want it. The fat body maybe not, but a nice thinline? Love it...

I hear ya. The color is way cool in person and I am really surprised at how much I like the matte finish. This same guitar in a little thinner body would be cool too! :dude: The thickness of the body is not objectionably large. I have an L5 CES and it feels enormous. Its 3 3/8" thick. They make an L5 CT that is a thinner bodied guitar at 2 1/2". This one is 2 3/4" thick so it is in between the two. I would love to see a 2" thick version of this. Even though I do like the matte finish, a conventional gloss finish with some flame maple would be killer IMO!

Last edited:

jb_abides

Congrats and HNGD, enjoy in good health! :salude I love the look on these, too bad they aren't available in lefty.

How's the positioning travel on that 6-way toggle? Seems like you'd have to get used to the subtly of it...?

DoubleBoogie

Congrats and HNGD, enjoy in good health! :salude I love the look on these, too bad they aren't available in lefty.

How's the positioning travel on that 6-way toggle? Seems like you'd have to get used to the subtly of it...?

It does take a little getting used to. Its not the easiest thing in the world to go from say...a neck humbucker to the middle single coil position. Going from Humbucker to Single coil in one position is pretty easy though. It just up or down for that. To go from neck to middle or bridge in either humbucker or single coil mode is pretty easy too as it is just forward and back for the switch. You just have to remember to not pull up or push down as you are doing it.

Brian Krashpad

I have actually never heard of the use of coil tapping to be anything other than splitting the pickups from a humbucker to only a single coil. And to answer your question, yes, that is what is happening with this guitar. The six way switch operates as a you would think a 3-way would but in two parallel positions. The switch is either oriented slanted up toward the player (humbucker mode) or slanted downward away from the player (single coil mode). The bridge pickup in single coil mode can get close to Tele tones. The output in single coil modes is greater than in humbucking mode. Because of the nature of the pickups, the humbucker mode is not as fat as what you would expect from a normal humbucker. More clarity and brightness in the humbucker modes.

The two terms are incorrectly used interchangeably very regularly.

I won't wade into it. Here's a discussion if you're interested:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...-split-vs-coil-tap-do-you-know-what-they-mean

DoubleBoogie

The two terms are incorrectly used interchangeably very regularly.

I won't wade into it. Here's a discussion if you're interested:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...-split-vs-coil-tap-do-you-know-what-they-mean

Cool! Thanks. I get it now. I found this comment in the thread to be pretty interesting though.... "The funny thing is, coil 'splitting' implies one coil split in two. But in truth, you have two coils. In the case of a humbucker, they act as one virtual coil. So if you look at 'splitting', then that makes sense. But it also means that 'tapping' makes sense, as you are tapping that one virtual coil right smack dab in the middle." I never understood that you could coil tap a single coil pickup. You learn something every day! :dude:

jrgtr42

Isn't that basically the switch / switching used on the Gibson Jimmy Page Custom a few years back?
3 selections "up and down" and a "side to side" for the 'bucker / single set.