• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969 humbucker questions

corpse

Craftsmen, IME, often operate in a different sphere than those of us in this plane. The "best" (not being sarcastic- he is the guy all the touring musicians in Atl take their gear to) guy in town, if he likes you, will finish your stuff when its done. Might be six months or more- this for nationally touring acts/performers. Household name-ish guys.
I have deadlines, you have deadlines- they have backlog.
I have rarely seen a Corvette in their driveways, or heard them use the phrase "headed to the beach house".
I am grateful for these guys.

El Gringo

Craftsmen, IME, often operate in a different sphere than those of us in this plane. The "best" (not being sarcastic- he is the guy all the touring musicians in Atl take their gear to) guy in town, if he likes you, will finish your stuff when its done. Might be six months or more- this for nationally touring acts/performers. Household name-ish guys.
I have rarely seen a Corvette in their driveways, or heard them use the phrase "headed to the beach house".
The best craftsmen that ever worked on my stuff was eccentric to put it mildly as he was a working Bassist in his younger years with several big name touring groups in his resume and he was the best .I lost contact with him 15 years ago and I did think of trying to reconnect with him but I figured go with this Big name Guitar store ,who I have purchased from a really big pricey Custom Shop one off creation that I had built to my specs and I am trying to cultivate a relationship for more future big ticket purchases So I do not know what the issues were other than "it's our busy time of the year" which was a new one for me as in to me this is a 365 day business .So what do I know except I am excited when the UPS truck comes to my neck of the woods .I will of course provide an update and a report as to the quality of the work done .

Last edited:

El Gringo

So I thought I would have my 2 guitars in my hands today does not look like it's happening .I am still waiting for further word from UPS .

El Gringo

ODE TO JOY !!! I got my guitars back Friday afternoon and I am so blown away and totally impressed by the expertise of the Master Luthier Craftsman that brought them back to LIFE .First off My Gibson Les Paul Custom was screaming with tone from my Marshall .Think of the sound very identical to my R9 except brighter because of the Ebony fingerboard .The new wiring harness is magical and well worth every penny I paid for it with the 500k pot's and the vintage Bumble Bee caps , paired with the Gibson 57 Classic in the neck and the Gibson 57 classic + in the bridge .I am so blown away ,this Guitar plays like a Black Beauty AKA the fretless wonder minus the fretless wonder frets as this has modern wire as the only way it would work for me as I like to bend the heck out of the strings when I am playing .How the gold hardware was cleaned up and made to look brand new is beyond my comprehension as I only use lemon Pledge at home and if I tried to clean the gold hardware I would surely scrape the Gold off and tarnish it , the Grover gears also cleaned up nicely but different from the Gold Gibson hardware .Such a snappy bright sound from this Les Paul Custom but at the same time roaring and screaming thru my vintage 30's from my Marshall 2555X. Next the USA reissue 52 Fender Butterscotch Telecaster with it's Fender Texas Special pickups is twanging up a storm as if I was playing a juke bar in Bakersfield and totally rocking out .The action is so nice and low on both guitars and the intonation is Perfect .It has been truly over 15 years that these 2 guitars have been sitting on there stands doing nothing and now they have come roaring back to life in such a big way . I wish I could capture the sound of the bridge Texas Special Tele pickup and have it on a bridge pick up for a Stratocaster . This pickup is designed off a Hot Broadcaster pickup if I remember correctly ,best damn single coil pickup to my ears . I am primarily a Gibson Les Paul fan and now I have 2 monster Les Paul Guitars with my R9 and My Custom with it's baseball bat sized neck .

Kris Ford

My Marshall tech (Dean Zink) is like that..BUT..somehow..he must have sensed the geek was strong in me..and fixed/tuned up/installed PPIMV in my '74 JMP Super Bass on the spot while I waited and hung out. A vintage Marshall lovers dream in his shop!

WHile I was there, a guy came in with a '71 Marshall Major..and he told him leave it as he was backlogged 4 weeks.

Grog

We've been bringing our stuff to a guy in a small town about an hour & a half south of us for years. You drop the stuff off, he says that he's about two to three weeks out, you know that it will be six months to a year before he calls. But the guy will fix literally anything, and it will be fixed right every time. His prices are better than reasonable. When you walk in, there is stuff everywhere, some of it hasn't moved in ten to twenty years. I think he has a photographic memory. You drop your stuff off, he puts a posted note on it and you wait.............. About two years ago, I dropped off a GSS-100 head & a LP-1 Preamp. I was told years ago that nobody would fix them, love them while they work then "LET THEM GO!" It took 14 months & $300.00, but they work like new. We dropped a few things off about two weeks ago. I asked him how much longer he planned on working. He said he had turned 65 last January, but still like what he did, didn't want to sit around the house all day. We will miss him when he retires. Not many people will tackle some of the stuff he fixes on a daily basis.