The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

1969 humbucker questions

So I've got a '69 custom that I almost never play. I really just don't love the tone compared to my '85 standard (with Tim Shaw's in it) or my '65 SG (with a p90). Is it totally sacrilegious to switch out the pickups? I'm honestly not even sure that they're original. The neck has a pat number sticker and the bridge has pat number stamped into the metal. there is also a slight difference in the way the screws are cut through the covers. The guitar plays and feels great and id like to get more use out of it. is it always wrong to replace? Can I just put them back if I ever want to sell it, or is the fact that they have been tampered with permanently devalue the guitar? what are some good replacement options if I chose to go that route?

thanks.

Re: 1969 humbucker questions

Patent number decal gold Ttops are correct for that guitar. Stamped number no.
    Just another grumpy, gimpy, grizzled geezer, gettin' on the goodfoot!

First have you tried having it set up? No disrespect to your skills but a good set up is definitely worth it.
    But there are literally a hundred different pu's that would work.
    A custom is a different animal than an SG or a STD. Bigger sounding and bassier.
    I have used OX4's. I liked them a lot. Keep the originals and don't install anything that requires cutting or drilling.

Les Paul Forum Member

Reissue LP customs have a maple top just like the GT's, so they really don't sound all that different from the converted GT's (somewhat due to the ebony fingerboard mostly).

50's and 1960 customs were all mahogany and do sound different, darker etc (I had a 69 LPC back in the day, and currently have a all mahogany LP Studio for a similar sound to that of the < 1960 LPC's).

Wish I still had my 69 LPC, though for some reason it was a lot heavier than the 69 GT I replaced it with (and still have)?

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    First have you tried having it set up? No disrespect to your skills but a good set up is definitely worth it.
    But there are literally a hundred different pu's that would work.
    A custom is a different animal than an SG or a STD. Bigger sounding and bassier.
    I have used OX4's. I liked them a lot. Keep the originals and don't install anything that requires cutting or drilling.
    Last edited by djd100; 08-09-17 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks guys. I just bought a Pat number sticker humbucker online. i'll have my guy throw it in there and see how it sounds. I figure I should start with everything "period correct" before I start shopping for more modern solutions.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Patent number decal gold Ttops are correct for that guitar. Stamped number no.
    Big Al , this reminds me of a question/issue that I have always had with my Les Paul Custom which if truth be told I really don't play that much because of the tone of the Custom compared to my R9 .What are the pros and cons of switching out the circuit to a Les Paul Standard circuit ? Which then would give it better tone and more bite ? I do have the Gibson 57 classic in the neck and the Gibson 57 classic + in the bridge .Also is this something to do at all with the wiring harness ? I guess I am trying to get the sound closer to the Standard tone as opposed to the way a Custom sounds .

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Big Al , this reminds me of a question/issue that I have always had with my Les Paul Custom which if truth be told I really don't play that much because of the tone of the Custom compared to my R9 .What are the pros and cons of switching out the circuit to a Les Paul Standard circuit ? Which then would give it better tone and more bite ? I do have the Gibson 57 classic in the neck and the Gibson 57 classic + in the bridge .Also is this something to do at all with the wiring harness ? I guess I am trying to get the sound closer to the Standard tone as opposed to the way a Custom sounds .
    If it has the 300k/100k pot harness upgrading to the 500k all around pot value should get you what you want. I've found the 57+ too dull for my tastes, but then I like brighter/twangy bridge tone.

You might find the 500k pots do the trick. If not, then maybe a brighter pickup with the new pots will be in order.

Les Paul Forum Member

If it has the 300k/100k pot harness upgrading to the 500k all around pot value should get you what you want. I've found the 57+ too dull for my tastes, but then I like brighter/twangy bridge tone.

You might find the 500k pots do the trick. If not, then maybe a brighter pickup with the new pots will be in order.
    Is there a way to tell from looking in the control cavity if it has the 300k/100k pot harness ? Sorry for the dumb question .

Les Paul Forum Member

Is there a way to tell from looking in the control cavity if it has the 300k/100k pot harness ? Sorry for the dumb question .
    I did find one of the orginal pickups for the guitar last night and it was a T top ,Patent # ( I think it was 2737 )

Les Paul Forum Member

I did find one of the orginal pickups for the guitar last night and it was a T top ,Patent # ( I think it was 2737 )
    and it was gold patent # decal (2737 was the # if I remember correctly ) I remember taking them out and replacing them with Seymour Duncan's PAF neck and a Duncan distortion .This was around 1980 ? because the gold T top, Patent was in the Seymour Duncan plastic box and the Seymour Duncan pickups are in the Gibson 57 classic plastic case which is in another box of parts in the spare room with all kinds of parts ad stuff .That would be some archeological dig .

Sometimes you can see a value stamped on the back of the pot. You can measure with a multi meter if you have one. I would assume 300k.

FWIW I find the Duncan 59 SH1 humbuckers outstanding and would make a great choice if the Ttops aren't hitting your target tone after the harness upgrade.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

In terms of getting "more" from a T Top in a solid body, I have had good success in putting a throbak magnet in them. Really makes a significant difference in depth, strength of sound and more in line with the PAF tone in my head. Just my experience.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member

Sometimes you can see a value stamped on the back of the pot. You can measure with a multi meter if you have one. I would assume 300k.

FWIW I find the Duncan 59 SH1 humbuckers outstanding and would make a great choice if the Ttops aren't hitting your target tone after the harness upgrade.
    Thank you for your help Big Al.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    In terms of getting "more" from a T Top in a solid body, I have had good success in putting a throbak magnet in them. Really makes a significant difference in depth, strength of sound and more in line with the PAF tone in my head. Just my experience.
    You can buy a Throbak magnet from Throbak ?

Yes. It's on their web site , under accessories or something similar.

Edit: here we go

http://www.throbak.com/alnico-magnets.html
    Last edited by latestarter; 06-23-17 at 12:49 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Thank you Latestarter so much for your info and help .Mucho Gracias
    Last edited by El Gringo; 06-26-17 at 09:16 AM.

Just on this - my comments were in relation to Pat No decal T Tops...haven't tried it with stamped. Probably similar results.

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    Just on this - my comments were in relation to Pat No decal T Tops...haven't tried it with stamped. Probably similar results.
    I would think so.
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

I've "pumped up" many T-Tops by using the magnets from a P90. One P90 has two magnets.

Almost any will do as they are stronger and are the long size used in PAFs. IMNSHO, they make a change for the better.

Les Paul Forum Member

Big Al, I wanted to ask you about the wiring harness in my Les Paul Custom, it will be the short shaft pot's ? The reason I ask is I am seriously thinking about replacing the wiring harness and I want to make sure I get the right one . Also is this a job that my Les Paul could or might get nicked/dinged or scratched or gouged ? I hate to be anal but I can't help it .
    Last edited by El Gringo; 07-07-17 at 07:31 AM.

Big Al, I wanted to ask you about the wiring harness in my Les Paul Custom, it will be the short shaft pot's ? The reason I ask is I am seriously thinking about replacing the wiring harness and I want to make sure I get the right one . Also is this a job that my Les Paul could or might get nicked/dinged or scratched or gouged ? I hate to be anal but I can't help it .
    El Gringo muy Amigo, it depends on the year of manufacture, but I would guess it is long shaft pots you need. Does it have the metal grounding plate that all the controls mount to? I like them but if you want a more vintage look, who's gonna see?, you can remove the plate and then check to see if a short shaft will work. Some will clear the top and on others they won't extend far enough up to attach the washer and nut. The only tricky part with the long shaft is setting the individual height by using the two nuts on the shaft. The flat bottom control rout along with the carved top means each pot has it's own setting to fit right.

It isn't as scary as it sounds but it takes time and patience to do right.

Les Paul Forum Member

El Gringo muy Amigo, it depends on the year of manufacture, but I would guess it is long shaft pots you need. Does it have the metal grounding plate that all the controls mount to? I like them but if you want a more vintage look, who's gonna see?, you can remove the plate and then check to see if a short shaft will work. Some will clear the top and on others they won't extend far enough up to attach the washer and nut. The only tricky part with the long shaft is setting the individual height by using the two nuts on the shaft. The flat bottom control rout along with the carved top means each pot has it's own setting to fit right.

It isn't as scary as it sounds but it takes time and patience to do right.
    Big Al, Over the weekend I took off the backplate to get a look inside and My guitar does not have the metal grounding plate that the controls mount to .I was able to read the numbers on one of the pot's R1379223 after that there was solder and it might have covered more # I am not sure .Then there were two little beige colored caps which had the # 207 on top with # 100 beneath it . This is like a forensics investigation to determine some facts on the age of the instrument and this harness (to determine if it's short shaft pot's or long shaft pot's) my goal is to replace the harness with the 500K harness and make this Les Paul Custom scream like my R9. I have been looking at Throbak's website and others for the new harness .

Les Paul Forum Member

Good news, I was finally able to get the wiring harness that I wanted with the CTS 500K pots and Bumble Bee caps all vintage from Marks Guitar Loft .Big Thank You to Mark .

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

R1379223

"R' = Resistor

137 = CTS

92 is the year

23 is the week.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    R1379223

"R' = Resistor

137 = CTS

92 is the year

23 is the week.
    Thank you kindly good sir .This explains some of the mystery for me because in March of 1992 my beloved Gibson Les Paul Custom was packed up and sent to Roger Gissin at the Gibson West Hollywood Custom Shop to have it overhauled and gone over with a fine tooth comb and I can guess that is how those pots and caps wound up in there .Well now with my new (vintage ) harness on it's way from Marks Guitar Loft ,my Les Paul Custom will be rocking again really soon .I have to say a mega big Thank you to you Wilko for this most helpful information and knowledge .Also a very mega big thank you to the most super Awesome Mark Bishop for my new (vintage ) wiring harness .
    Last edited by El Gringo; 07-28-17 at 09:01 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    R1379223

"R' = Resistor

137 = CTS

92 is the year

23 is the week.
    You are very very good . this really blows my mind in a good way

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

All Gibson two pickup guitars up til 1976 should have 500k pots. Sometime in 76 they started using 300k pots which I think make the guitars sound dark & dull. If it were my guitar I'd make sure it had 500k pots and 50's wiring and a set of Throbak Pre-T 301's or had Throbak A-4 magnets in the T-Tops. The A-4's really make a T-Top come alive!

Les Paul Forum Member

+1 on the 500K pots, and 50's wiring as well IMO, though that's not a huge issue like the pot values are (i.e. wiring schemes are subjective and up to the owner).

That said, 50's wiring will give a lot more versatility etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    All Gibson two pickup guitars up til 1976 should have 500k pots. Sometime in 76 they started using 300k pots which I think make the guitars sound dark & dull. If it were my guitar I'd make sure it had 500k pots and 50's wiring and a set of Throbak Pre-T 301's or had Throbak A-4 magnets in the T-Tops. The A-4's really make a T-Top come alive!

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    In fact, they switched to 300k pots earlier, in 1973 definitely together with farewell to black Sprague caps.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Les Paul Forum Member

Good news, I was finally able to get the wiring harness that I wanted with the CTS 500K pots and Bumble Bee caps all vintage from Marks Guitar Loft .Big Thank You to Mark .
    Update , the Les Paul Custom is being worked on as I write this and soon I will have good news to report with photos .