LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Re: Show your Strats 2017 edition

cool man! looks good

if some Aliens came down and demanded somebody to show them what a Strat looked like I think that would be a good all around representative specimen!

enjoy it in good health and rock on!

Malta, somewhere in the mid of the Med Sea.

Basically I wanted two types of sounds from a strat-type guitar.

The one on the bottom is a 2000/2001 Honey Blonde HWY1, sounded great and felt nice from the moment i picked her up! I had to have it! We all know that feeling! I ended up modding it with CS '69 pu's, a Mike DeTemple trem assembly and vintage style tuners along with Callaham parts/pots and blender pot. The nut was changed to a TusQ XL nut and the guitar got a needed fret dress. Sounds great!

The guitar on top is a Fender Licensed instrument in O/W, one I spec'd for a fat, big, but clear tone. I spared no expense, including a braz board, but I got what i wanted. I love this tone, it's very throaty
    ~ Shanti ~

"Without the buzz and the feel, we can go to sleep..."

Malta, somewhere in the mid of the Med Sea.

With her evil sister...

~ Shanti ~

"Without the buzz and the feel, we can go to sleep..."

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pellman73 View Post
    cool man! looks good

if some Aliens came down and demanded somebody to show them what a Strat looked like I think that would be a good all around representative specimen!

enjoy it in good health and rock on!

Right on man, thanks!

Not sure how I screwed up my post..but I edited wrong or something..anywyas, thanks for the nice words!
    Surprisingly more versatile than I gad ever expected..the last one I had EVERYTHING sounded like Robin Trower, but i guess that was my fault for have a Univibe clone into a Marshall!
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member

Down to 4 Fenders, a 1957, 1958, 1964 and a CS from @1990. Photos below.

Quote Originally Posted by 57gold View Post
    Down to 4 Fenders, a 1957, 1958, 1964 and a CS from @1990. Photos below.

Well done!!

That at last one-- I saw Stevie ray play what I think was a Charlie wirz lipstick strat on a live version of "life without you" -- that I'm kind of obsessed w btw

did Srv's inspire you to get that by any chance ? It's cool as hell either way

whats it sound like ?

quite a quiver o starts!

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Cool vid!..

57Gold has a lefty brige like Stevie would do but it looks like SRV is playing a hardtail!

Fun stuff all around.

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

SRV played that Wirz Strat a lot more than I realized.

Les Paul Forum Member

Yup, purchased from Charlie's Guitars, makers of the SRV instrument, one of about 20 the Fender Custom Shop did. Charlie's got the first 5.

Some more details:

Probably should be owned/played by a Texan!!!

I did a bunch of business in TX in the 1980s, loved visiting, thought about moving but had a chance to move to Tampa versus Dallas...live in Tampa. But had Austin been a possibility, might be living on Mt Bonnell instead of Tampa Bay.

Yup, purchased from Charlie's Guitars, makers of the SRV instrument, one of about 20 the Fender Custom Shop did. Charlie's got the first 5.

Some more details:

Probably should be owned/played by a Texan!!!

I did a bunch of business in TX in the 1980s, loved visiting, thought about moving but had a chance to move to Tampa versus Dallas...live in Tampa. But had Austin been a possibility, might be living on Mt Bonnell instead of Tampa Bay.
    I wonder why they didn't make it a hard tail if it was sposed to be like the wirz lipstick special

still cool as hell guitar

i think they did 100 reissues of the wirz one (w the naked hula girl on the back). I think they go for a lot. I think I saw one sold on reverb for 15g

ill be in Tampa at end of month trying to catch a tarpon on a fly rod. Hopefully They are running thru there!

Les Paul Forum Member

Pellman - Mr Tarpon usually visits us around that time but most of the guys here who fish for them go down to Boac Grande and fish the Pass.

It's Charley's, and this one predates the replica with the hula girl by about 5 years. This one was inspired by the originals, sold out fast so they did the next series years later...which had stop tailpiece, rosewood finger board and repo decals and the like.

They also did the relic #1 and maybe other SRV replicas.

Rogers
    Pellman - Mr Tarpon usually visits us around that time but most of the guys here who fish for them go down to Boac Grande and fish the Pass.

It's Charley's, and this one predates the replica with the hula girl by about 5 years. This one was inspired by the originals, sold out fast so they did the next series years later...which had stop tailpiece, rosewood finger board and repo decals and the like.

They also did the relic #1 and maybe other SRV replicas.
    Roger that... very cool.

been reading about charley wirz. Sounds like he was a really cool guy... started the Dallas guitar show and I also read that the song "life without you" was written by Srv w charley in mind! Thus it makes sense also that he's playing it on that song.

How does it sound ?

Les Paul Forum Member

Hard to describe tone sometimes. These lipstick tube pickups are not the ones later made by Fender, they are full sized like Danalectros, which they might be.

They have a full frequency response with relatively low gain, glossy with extra high frequency content, jangle in a good way...they give a cool rattle kind of tone in the in between positions, extra quack. Sound best when amp is cranked to break up.

Very colorful addition to a Strat player's palette.

Les Paul Forum Member

On the left is a concoction of CS 62 parts and neck on a USA Fender body (swapped body from ash to alder: bye bye resale value, hello resonance! Recently changed the pick guard from the original Incredible Hulk green to something more appealing). Right is MB Cruz 63 ash body. Both have my favourite 65C neck. I like drastic variations in my Strats you see.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123