• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD-- Tom Anderson Cobra S w quilt top from NAMM

Pellman73

im at work and just have my iPad so I can't figure out how to post a pic but I just got delivered here this crazy guitar I saw and played at NAMM This year. Of all the guitars I saw and played this one really got me. Figured I'd never see the likes of it again-- and then I saw that Teddy from make n music in Chicago had it-- actually he them make it to the specs he wanted.

its a Cobra s w an amazing Atlantic storm quilt top and what really opened my eyes was he had them put Tom andersons Ph-1 p-90 in the neck and a humbucker w a coil tap in the bridge. I loved the idea of that combo and loved even more how it sounded and played.

im giddy as a school girl

will post pics later if there is interest...

renderit

I'm gamey! There be interest from at least this halfwit.

Pellman73

I'm gamey! There be interest from at least this halfwit.

well I was going to try-- and took some nice pics w a real camera but it says I cannot post attachments. :dang

well thanks for the nice interest anyhow!

renderit

How does it sound? Beautiful work on those, I have admired them at a local shop before.

Pellman73

How does it sound? Beautiful work on those, I have admired them at a local shop before.

It sounds GREAT. I'll try to elaborate

He's a very inventive guy and the PUPs are his own. This particular one has the PH-1 in the neck which is a P-90 that has some kind of hum canceling thing that he has designed (not sure what the specifics of the electronics are and how that works) and the HC-2 in the bridge which is described on his site as :

"Who wouldn’t love a medium-hot output package with all the vintage flavor firmly in place, wound to create a full bouquet of tonalities. Muscular mids with a smattering of lush and soft highlights so it is impressively musical, with never a hint of that “oops, I accidentally sat on a duck,” tone. Beautiful from all tonal angles."

I'd say that is accurate!

I think you can get lots of different tones out of it. Its a mahogany body, maple cap, mahogany neck, indian rosewood fretboard so its got a lot of the les paul tone woods..

certainly some les paul type bridge tones (not quite as chunkity chunk as a les paul, but way more than say a strat or a super strat w a humbucker type thing).

I love the P-90 in the neck. its warm, punchy and reactive if you hit the strings, but you can also dial down the volume and tone a little and get what I guess would be more womany tones?

fit and finish is really phenomenal. the serial numbers on these guitars is the date and then an A or a P (mine is 1-14-17A.... you can put that into the TA serial number data base and get the guitar). Its either the A or a P-- in other words he puts out at most 2 guitars a day.

Here was a cool thing. I sent an email to customer support because there was a registration card in there and I wasn't clear if I needed to send it in. About a minute after sending the question I was answered by none other than Tom Anderson himself. He couldn't have been nicer. This is a guy who plays out (we talked about pedals a little) and he also does quality control and plays every instrument.

the neck is called the "happy medium neck" and its close to a gibson "50's" neck like I had on my 2003 les paul-- perhaps a shade or two smaller.

bang for the buck when you compare the quality of this instrument to something coming out of the Fender or Gibson Custom shop I"d say its pretty spectacular.

I had NO intention of buying a TA guitar but of all the guitars I saw, touched, and got to play at NAMM this year this very one really stuck out to me.

:salude

renderit

I have fiddled with a few and liked them but they were pointy shredder types which I am sure would injure me grievously were I to buy one. He seems to finish and fit at a very high level.

Pellman73

I have fiddled with a few and liked them but they were pointy shredder types which I am sure would injure me grievously were I to buy one. He seems to finish and fit at a very high level.

:rofl

He made a guitar for keef and I'm pretty sure if anyone should be kept away from sharp objects it would be him ! So I'm sure as a part of the build you could specify "safety first"

mine could only only be used as a blunt object in a fight (speaking of keef)

:salude

Pellman73

Few more pics of the cobra now that I know how to do it.

I'm loving this guitar-- the neck joint is pretty cool-- something particluar to his guitars and I thought I'd show a pic of it.

]