• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Opinion on this Junior double cut?

StSpider

Hi guys, I've been looking for a vintage junior double cut in Europe for quite some time. I'm interested in a player grade instrument, both because my pockets ain't too deep and also because I want a guitar that I can gig.

This one popped up recently on Reverb and I've been discussing with the owner.

https://reverb.com/it/item/4311684-gibson-les-paul-junior-dc-1960-cherry

Everything seems alright, no breaks, and the bridge would be quickly replaced by a mojoaxe. Extra strap button is annoying and also the shallers holes are definitely bigger than the repro tuners but all in all there seems to be no major issue with it.

Lots of discoloration and wear on the back which gives me the idea that this guitar has been gigged quite a bit but treated with care.

Price aside - which I am still discussing with the owner - what's your opinion on this one?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Looks expensive, considering the issues.

Did the owner explain the extra screw holes in the face?
Were the tuner shaft holes filled back to proper size?
Does he include the original bridge?

:hmm

AA00475Bassman

You could buy one with out mods for 5000.00 .As far as the holes in the body i can't imagine they would be factory , theres no point in what they were for . Find a original 60's with a slim neck .

StSpider

Bridge is missing, tuner holes were not filled. He explains the extra holes as likely deriving from someone trying to "bolt" some protection to the guitar...if you see the back, there's the same thing going on where the finish is down to bare wood, so he might be right.

He's be willing do sell for 1000 euros less of the price listed.

At 4000 euros, it's still expensive, but the asking prices seem to have gone up lately quite a bit. Still, I've not made up my mind about it yet.

VamboRool

Holes between the bridge and the pick-up were probably for a synthesizer pick-up, anybody's guess what the hole near the edge was for. I think you would be better off to keep looking, too expensive for the issues.

StSpider

Thanks for the advice. Yes I think that at 4000 euros it's still too much considering the conditions. Also, the schaller tuner holes in the headstock bother me a bit too much, I would have to have them filled and redrilled or put schallers back in myself.

I don't think it's wise to price the guitar on the idea that "it looks like it sounds great" since I can't try it firsthand before. I'll just have to price it according to conditions and relative to that the asking price is too much. I'll see what the seller thinks about it, I'm not in a hurry anyway.

Thanks a lot guys.