• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1979 TV YELLOW LES PAUL CUSTOM?!

Strings Jr.

At one time they used "colored" or "tinted" lacquer on some models
to give them the vintage look when they were brand new.
I imagine they would be VERY yellow today.

deytookerjaabs

Don't remember ever seeing one that showed grain through the top.

I do, and we all, know lots of funky stuff happened in those transition years!

AA00475Bassman

Its hard to see in the photos , has to be great looking in hand ! Nothing like yellowed white .

clearmudd

That does not appear to be a yellowed white, the color is the same in the routes. TV yellow it may be!

Big Al

Rick, they did do a Limed Mahogany finish then. You see it on the double cut specials. That Custom does not have that finish. The finish designation in the cavity is often different than the finish applied at the factory. Seen that many times. That particular one does not look like any one I saw then. Custom ordered? Refinish? I have no idea. Hard to tell from pictures but it doesn't resemble any stock finishes from the late 70's I saw.

Did you get it from the original owner? Is there any factory paperwork?

Kris Ford

The binding is extremely yellowed as well as the headstock diamond.

If it was supposed to be a Natural, but got pulled to be painted, could explain the grain coming through...as in done in a hurry!

Though I have seen many white with exposed grain.

Kris Ford

Here is a '75 white that is now all yellow as well:
mh1erw3yroe0ajxmdosb.jpg

richard henry

Banned
Difference between that guitar and mine is how the body finish was applied. The one Kris just posted was clearly sprayed. Look at the sides of the e-cavity on my pic, it looks like it was applied with a brush like a grain filler. And again, the finish is semi-transparent with the wood grain visible.

Otter

Resurrecting an old thread, anyone get the lowdown on this color? I never thought much about the rarity of mine until recently. I've owned this '78 for 30 years, dealer advertised it as "TV Yellow" when I bought it. It's an 11+ lb case queen and hasn't faded/changed a bit in my care. Notice the binding is still a nice cream color. Mahogany grain is just barely visible on the back, really have to be up close to see it.

KmFMwR9.jpg

88XFU6L.jpg

SILBvkf.jpg

Wally

@Otter, I like that guitar! Closet queen indeed. The lacquer on the binding has not yellowed.
This looks much as it looked when it was new, imho. Nice guitar!!,