• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Favorite "hot" Telecaster Pickups?

ewhip17

Did a search... a few of them actually.. and couldn't find anything similar so apologies if this has been discussed. But, I'd be interested to get some feedback (see what I did there?) on people's favorite "hot" telecaster pickups. I'll admit that I like my teles with a bit of grunt. A telecaster that borders on the wild and hairy side is right up my alley. For reference they'd be going into a tele with a rosewood board and replacing "Twisted Tele" pickups. Not looking for SC sized humbuckers, just something that rips and snorts. I think that's an official terminology. Ha. Thanks in advance!

renderit

I have 3 Lindy Fralin Blues Special pickups in this Grosh and they sound awesome.

IMG_1781.jpg

DMartini

have a look around the tele pickup guru's website (Don Mare if you dont know who that is) :salude

toxpert

My tele is happily sporting a set of Lindy Fralin ...Blues Special pickups.

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
The beauty and essence of the Tele lies with a low output pickup imho. But I have a Don Mare 0038 10.5k that gets installed in one of my Teles when I need a change. I'd recommend one or his tapped Sting Ray if you want to keep the Tele sound. Almost all the boutique winders have similar models. It's all trial and error so I'd suggest looking for used ones.

I still desire to have a fatter more Les Paul like tone from a Tele on occasion. I tried the Seymour Duncan Lil 59. I was thoroughly disappointed in it. Sounded dull and nothing like a decent Humbucking. I'm curious about the SD BG-1000, I think that's what they call it. Because I'd like a Tele that could switch from a low output twang to a full yet sounding humbucker that is not dull. Would be cool to have but I'm probably dreaming.

Elmore

Lpnv59, I put the neck pickup (minihumbucker) from my '71 Les Paul Deluxe in the neck position of my Tele to achieve what you describe. It gets close with 500K pots.

lpnv59

Lpnv59, I put the neck pickup (minihumbucker) from my '71 Les Paul Deluxe in the neck position of my Tele to achieve what you describe. It gets close with 500K pots.

I'm really just talking about bridge pickups. Sorry I should've clarified. I did try a 500k with the Lil 59 but I still disliked the sound I was getting.

ewhip17

Thanks all. Fralin blues specials seem like real contenders for what I'm looking for. Possibly the higher output Lollars. Lots of Don Mare options - that website is a trip! Hard to differentiate his offerings since there are just so many of them. I still want it to sound like a tele after all. Appreciate all the input.

lpnv59

Search around the Just Pickups Forum on the Tele forum tdpri.com. Lots of useful info and Don Mare is a member there along with several other well respected winders. Mares pickups I found have something special though.

latestarter

Pete Biltoft from Vintage Vibe Guitars does a great slightly overwound Tele pickup set...doesn't lose any clarity and keeps the twang in place whilst enabling my amps to be driven harder. Worth a look.

akstrat61

I use to have a 52RI with Barden rails in it that absolutely killed!:hank

I have NGD coming tomorrow! Look for a new thread!:dude:

sapi

I love my Don Mare Tweed Monster in my Tele! Much recommended! :dude:

ewhip17

The Don Mare force is strong... haha. Going to go back to his site and take a deeper dive.