• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1959 LP Special TV Yellow

stilwel

Here's a few more random photos I found on my phone. I'll have to look around for the toddler pic with the guitar/amp.

d378b2e7-a42f-4b09-a056-76d8cfce293d_zpslvj0mzeq.jpg

67E36A8E-4370-447C-B6F7-DDC680495DCA_zpsisokpebu.jpg

F2E7CA5B-4AEA-47A6-B82B-2237074B44EF_zpshfu8zqhe.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Is that the same kind of truss rod cover that's on a really flamey burst whose serial # I can't recall?

Those were after market items that people bought and had their names engraved on.
Several Bursts have had them.

And, believe it or not, I have one with your name on it! :ganz

VamboRool

I like that he put the original truss rod cover in the box that the personalized one came in, very nice guitar.

renderit

That, IMO is the greatest guitar and best backstory there is. Particularly with that picture. Fantastic...

stilwel

That, IMO is the greatest guitar and best backstory there is. Particularly with that picture. Fantastic...

I'm gonna take that as a really huge compliment because there are some truly great guitars and stories on this forum.

Thanks for welcoming me to the club.

Borat-thumbs-up-very-nice-210x197.jpg

stilwel

Boom! It's small and grainy, but I found it. I was 2 months old in this pic.

Jason-2mo_zpszmroklib.jpg

And here's the guitar and that Ampeg M-12 today.
I'm not exactly sure of the year of the amp, but I do know Grandmpa bought them both at the same time, so late 50's/early 60's.

IMG_4144_zps1gyar7dj.jpg

TM1

Nice! I have a Dbl. cut cherry finished Special and the pots are dated the 22nd week of `59. S/N# 93xxx8. From what I know they made far fewer dbl. cut cherry's in 1959 vs. the Limed Mahogany version. Great guitars!

stilwel

At the age of 90, my Grandpa Lester passed on to the great beyond on Sunday. I was fortunate to have him in my life for 45 years.
We found a couple of things of interest in a stack of old photos.

Photo dated January 1960.

mwtqc2.jpg

Grandpa playing his '59 Special. Notice the old Gibson string package in the upper-right of the picture.

aovq5y.jpg

We also found a pristine '58 Gibson catalog in a stack of old Mel Bay chord books.
Looks like Grandpa started thinking about a guitar purchase in '58 and ended up with the '59 double-cut.

That is very nice, It really brings back memories for me, I had one of those, it was impeccable. A kid in the neighborhood had it in his basement purchased brand new. Everyone knew I was a guitar player. and was very into guitars. It had never been played, so he sold it to me.
I took it with to NIU and Ax-In-Hand in Dekalb and was later told by the sales people that Larry was determined to get it. He had an early 1958 gold top that put me closer to my holy grail of a "real" LP standard so I traded him for it, I imagine I may have paid a little cash also, it had the older single coil pickups. which seems to be unusual now, all of the 58's seem to have PAF's.
That is the guitar that I traded back to him +cash later for the 1960 LP standard 0 7445 I have now. It did get me where I wanted to be,but, I wish I had taken pictures of it.

JIMI55LP

From the beginning your grandfather had the strap button moved to the horn. Great photos and guitar!