• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why Do My Fingers Hurt? (Ovation Content)

Shantrick

I play nothing but electric. I don't think I've touched an acoustic guitar in 5 years or more.
My nephew bought a used Ovation and asked me to clean it up for him. So he left it with me for a few days.

After the cleaning and set-up, fresh strings etc...I played it for a while. I must say I enjoyed it as a change.
But, after I was done, I noticed my finger tips were black and sore. My fingers are well seasoned for playing
and it baffled me as to why they felt like I had never picked up a guitar in my life??...and what's with the black
on my fingers? They were new strings.

Is acoustic a whole new beast? lol

Ovation.jpg

garywright

tall skinny frets ? ..high action ? heavier acoustic gauge strings ? ..how board gunk was cleaned ..how frets were polished ?

deytookerjaabs

My first hour or two of practice every day is on the acoustic. That way, nothing seems too strenuous as the rest of the day unfolds. Keep at it!

DoubleBoogie

My fingers always get black after a new set of strings because I typically oil the board. Perhaps it was oiled recently before you got it and did the set up???

jhmp

Are they bronze strings - they always turn my fingers grey and black...