• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Morgan MKII Professional Fuzz??

renderit

I have to confess, I just saw that Morgan makes pedals YESTERDAY while buying a Bliss. I did not know that.

Stevie C.

I have to confess, I just saw that Morgan makes pedals YESTERDAY while buying a Bliss. I did not know that.

My main thing is to find out if people think the NKT275 transistors sound the same as the OC75 or OC81D trans that came in the originals?
I'm sure its a great pedal otherwise, but if I'm going to spend the money, I want to have an original sounding MkII Tone Bender!

renderit

I just got one of those Chase Bliss ones. It's a fuzz, it's a drive, it's a distortion. It's everything. For straight fuzz I really do like my Wampler Velvet Fuzz...

(This is in place of the Girl From Ipanema while we wait for some REAL help...)

hughesj

From the demo videos I've seen, it has that overall MKII Tone Bender sound to it, but I've heard better. A fuzz with NKT275's is going to sound different than something with OC75/OC81D's no matter how similar the circuits are. That said, it sounds like their NKT275 pedal does a great job at making that original Fuzz Face sound.

If you're looking for MKII tone without having the sell a kidney, check out the Park Fuzz Sound by Earthquaker Devices or the Soul Bender from Fulltone. Or just do what i did: source some OC81D trannies and build you own!

Zinc Alloy

In the clips I've heard it was extremely fuzzy with the fuzz control at zero. I bet they're not biased like vintage units.

If you're looking for MKII tone without having the sell a kidney, check out the Park Fuzz Sound by Earthquaker Devices or the Soul Bender from Fulltone. Or just do what i did: source some OC81D trannies and build you own!

Both pedals you're recommending are MKIII/IV clones. That's a completely different circuit.

I wouldn't recommend sourcing OC81Ds. They're rather hard to find and new production ones are mostly low gain. OC75s would be easier and cheaper to source. But I guess something really cheap like 2sb175s could work rather well. They don't leak much, so they need the 100k bias resistors on Q1B and Q2C.