• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Advice on Collecting

Jeff42899

Hello all! I've recently started getting into LP's. I currently have a 2000 Deluxe and a 2015 Less Plus. I love them both and am amazed how different they are to play. My question is what models / years should I be looking for to add to my collection. My main goal is they won't depreciate if I take care of them (aside from an extraordinary market event). I just love the look and enjoy collecting on a small scale. I'll be converting a portion of an extensive firearms collection and diversifying via trade and sale / purchase. Any advice or thoughts?
IMG_20170108_152057_zpsqdxwhnni.jpg

IMG_20170108_152117_zpsdh1uqevq.jpg

Thundermtn

Oh man, that's a broad swing there.

What's your budget per guitar and what type of necks do you like? Are you down for dropping big coin on pre-beaten fakozoids or are you interested in player LP's?

Jeff42899

Good point. I'd like to stick with LP's for now, and I'm open on neck style simply because I don't want to be too specific and limit options. I'll probably want to stay sub 3k and probably less than 2k each on most but I'm sure I'll eventually want a queen of the fleet.

tonar8353

I suggest you save your money and get a nice vintage Les Paul Junior or ES330. There really is something special about vintage guitars and in the long run your money would be more well spent on that.

In 1978 I spent $1200.00 on Gibson ES347 which was a nice guitar but I probably could have got a 54 Gold Top, or Blackguard Tele for close to that. Check the current prices on a 78 ES347 compared to the other two. I should have held out for the vintage pieces.

Thundermtn

In that prices range I'd suggest late 80's standards and early 90's classics before they switched to the ugly inlays. Nice tops with either of those could go over 3k but If you look you can find them.

As far as the queen goes how much do you want to spend on a guitar that's never going to sound as good as the originals. With the collectors choice guitars listing for over 10k to me that's ridiculous money. I wouldn't gig with one and with it not sounding amazingly better than a standard unless you always play clean through a vintage/boutique amp I have a hard time justifying the extra $6,500 for one that sounds 5% better, that only I would hear at the house. Plus so much tone come from the players hands that I have a hard time buying the snake oil-ish marketing. I'd rather have that money in killer pedals and amps.

Guys that have the coin and can justify those guitars, more power to them if they're that dedicated to tone. To me the money is better spent elsewhere.

clearmudd

I collect to play, not to sell,trade, or invest. On the other hand the market for Norlins is getting better but it requires a bit of knowledge to know what to look for. Like with any vintage purchase, originality is the key word, and to KNOW what that is. A lot of homework is needed. As far as new is concerned, there is too much product on hand to have any investment value. The only exceptions are the Custom Shop creations in very limited quanities, then your talking several thousand not 2 or 3. Do your research and read a lot in this forum, thats the best help I can give.:salude

Amp360

I've always bought what I like vs what I think will be worth a lot of money. The best way not to lose money is not to want to sell.

Buy used at good prices and usually you'll make your money back.

Jeff42899

This is what I typically do as well. I'm not looking to make money. I want to buy what I like and what I find attractive and not lose money. So far I feel pretty good about how I've done. My plan thus far has been to find good condition used guitars I like at decent prices. I do it mainly for fun, but like the comfort of knowing that if I need to dump it in an emergency I can. I think I'll stick to standards, classics and lower cost customs that I like. Seems safe.

I've always bought what I like vs what I think will be worth a lot of money. The best way not to lose money is not to want to sell.

Buy used at good prices and usually you'll make your money back.

renderit

Or flutterbys! Youse could buy out everybody's flutterby collections then charge people to see them! You'll be a bazillionaire!