• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Recommend a Phaser

Big Al

Thanks Big Al...
Will the Whirlwind do more subtle phaser sounds like the Hotel California solo, or is a Phase 45 better equipped for that job?

The 45 for subtle, or use a 100 as I do for subtle or deep two types each.

Dave P

Yep! The biggest thing I found is that the actual components used in the originals were not sorted and matched. The tolerance range was greater too, as with everything at that time. Some go together with a magical combination of parts that just sound better, some not so much, but ALL sound good. That classic early MXR stuff is just killer. I bought mine new at the time and wore out quite a few, I also suffered a loss at a gig when some thieving magpie stole my case with all my effects, cables and microphones and I had to replace everything.

We did a lot of research on the Whirlwind Rochester Series and used the specs from a particularly good sounding early script model. I spent days going through boxes of resistors and capacitors sorting out by hand the closest matching examples. The close match also seems to reduce the noise.

I still get moist over the old Phase 100's and that awesome big ass yellow Stereo Chorus Pedal, AC cord and all it is hands down the best sounding chorus I've used. In stereo thru two amplifies it is GLORIOUS!!!! True 180 degree out of phase stereo not a wet and dry type most others use. The Dunlop reissue is nice but does not really come close, IMO and they missed something. I know the bucket brigade is out of production so that may be a factor. I'd love to find a good clone or clean original, mine is roadwork but still has the magic and at the time was the most expensive effect pedal I ever bought. Over $300 in the 70's was expensive!!!

Still, I love them, hometown heroes and all aside, they just were so damn musical. I still have my Distortion+, Phase 90, Phase 100, Stereo Chorous, Flanger, Analog Delay, Envelope Filter, Noise Gates, Micro Amp, Dyna Comp, Limiter, 6 band and 10 Band EQ's and some I might have forgot. Most still have original Boxes and paperwork.

Yes, those big yellow MXR stereo chorus units were great, I still have one. Too bad they are so huge and run on AC. I noticed Jamie West-Oram still uses his big old MXR stereo chorus.
I have a few old MXR Phase 90's, I'll grab one when I am in the mood for phaser, usually I'm trying to play old Van Halen stuff. I like the Dyna Comp and the flanger too.

Bob Womack

...I love the MXR stuff with single coils, but prefer the sound of a full size small stone with my R9...
I was wondering when someone would mention the Small Stone. I've still got mine from the '70s. Back then I used it exclusively with a '74 LP. It was "milky."

Bob

Fish Fingers

The Keeley Phase 24 really likes working with a buffer.
I've just put an Empress Buffer Plus in, and the difference is astounding.
There were suggestions earlier in the thread that the Keeley is a bit underwhelming, but the buffer really makes it shine.
It's possible that another pedal in the chain may hide it's full performance.
I could, of course, be talking out the back of my underwear.
No change there then.

Bob Womack

One of my favorite recorded phaser sounds is the MuTron Bi-phase set up with the two phasers synch'd and sweeping slowly but one phaser sweeping up on one side of the stereo field and the other on the other side sweeping down. A good example is the intro from "Follow You Follow Me" from ...And Then There Were Three by Genesis. Unfortunately most of the original run of Bi-phase are dead from component failure. A guy offers a circuit board clone but it is pretty expensive to build. The closest I'll probably ever get is the model on my amp modeler.

Bob

Elliotman

I used to have the old MXR Phase-90 and really liked it, turned down mostly. I tried out a yellow TC-Electronics unit, not sure the exact model, and it sounded really pretty.

The Shifter

One of my favorite recorded phaser sounds is the MuTron Bi-phase set up with the two phasers synch'd and sweeping slowly but one phaser sweeping up on one side of the stereo field and the other on the other side sweeping down. A good example is the intro from "Follow You Follow Me" from ...And Then There Were Three by Genesis. Unfortunately most of the original run of Bi-phase are dead from component failure. A guy offers a circuit board clone but it is pretty expensive to build. The closest I'll probably ever get is the model on my amp modeler.

Bob

I used to have two Mu-Tron Phasor IIs on my board. I miss those so much and have yet to find anything remotely close.

sapi

Got the MXR Sript 45 RI from Analogman and i like it!
Not as deep as the Moogerfooger
But i can leave it ON without being bothered much! :laugh2::hank

pablomago

My old MuTron is the standard, but it's the size of a brick. So I use a Whirlwind Orange Box or the phaser setting on my TC NOVA Modulator. I like having all of my modulation sounds in one box. For live stuff it makes it easy.

Elmore

Bought a MXR Phase 90 two days ago. The regular size one with one knob. Highly recommended. Great for the Waylon sound.