• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Butterfly" tuners for SG - 1960s-69

rockinro808

Hi call, I am new to the Forum. I recently got a 1968 SG Special that currently has Schaller tuners (put on by previous owner). When I checked the back of the headstock I noticed there is an outline of a "butterfly" shaped outline of previous(?) tuners. This outline is exactly the same shape as the ones on my 1968 ES 335. Does anyone here know if the butterfly ones were correct for 1968 SG Specials. So far I've only seen the "pointed" looking ones on other 68 SG Specials.

garywright

these were pretty common then on Juniors & Specials, however single strip Klusons were used as well

Gibson68SG_SpecialCH_7.jpg

rockinro808

these were pretty common then on Juniors & Specials, however single strip Klusons were used as well

Gibson68SG_SpecialCH_7.jpg
Thank you for that a bit of info. The other question i have is whether the black toggle switch was uncommon , compared to the white ones I've seen on all the pics of '68 SG Specials. Mine has the black one, so I'm wondering if the previous owner replaced it? So far, I have only seen white toggle switches on the Special. :(

rockinro808

What are those ""butterfly" tuners ? Were they Gibson tuners? Or do you have any knowledge what company made them? I would really like to get those, as I believe they were the original ones on my SG. Thank you for any help you could provide.

garywright

I'm not really sure what they technically are called ..I believe they were made in Japan and are an open back style ..those were often swapped out for the Kluson closed-back strips, Grovers or Schallers ...you may have luck contacting vintage host Tom Wittrock as he seems to have some nice vintage parts on hand but you also may have the better tuner already installed ..plus there's going to be visible holes

rockinro808

How can i get in contact with Tom(?) Wittrok? Re: vintage SG Special parts.
Thank you,
Roanne