• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2007 Standard Faded Tobacco Burst VS 2016 Standard Faded Sun Burst

DylanS

Im trying to decide between these. They are both about 1800 asking price. Any discernible difference in the quality, build, tone etc of these two? Is one better than the other? The tobacco burst 2007 looks better for sure but has a little more wear and kicks etc on it. The 2016 is near mint. Is the 2007 a better year for the Standard Faded than the 05 or 06? I've read they used swiss cheese style lightening methods on the 05 and chambered on the 07. Supposedly the 07 tone was better because of this difference? Just trying to get some experienced opinions before making a decision. Thanks!

sonar

$1800 seems a little high on the '07 Standard Faded.

Chambered vs. swiss cheese is a personal preference. I tended to prefer the chambered faded's, but others don't.

Pick the best player. If it's the '07 I'd try to get the price down $100.

sonar

Truss rod cover, pickup covers and capacitors are non-original. None of the three will affect value.

DylanS

Truss rod cover, pickup covers and capacitors are non-original. None of the three will affect value.
Great to know, how can you tell they aren't original? I'd love to know how to ID those features so I can talk to the seller about it, thanks!

DylanS

Chambered vs. swiss cheese is a personal preference. I tended to prefer the chambered faded's, but others don't.

Down to 1600 as it stands now, thanks!

andy k

TRC are easy to swap, usually for something like 'custom', or plain if it came with something like 'custom'.
i got my faded already modified, forgot they came with zebra BBpros, maybe the pickups have been swapped-maybe its just covers on, soldering looks original--cant really be sure without seeing the backs of the pickups.
I know the R series come with replica bumblebees, and the faded was a cheaper line than the standard, which also has repro bees i think--anything else is an 'upgrade', I think the cheaper lines usually just have ceramic discs,
as it stands--if its got a 50s neck (there were 50s and 60s) and is a one piece back, for 1600, i'd be on it.
cheers
andy k

ps, i think chambering began in 06, no guarantee that 07 is swiss cheese, larry corsa bought almost all available faded, he's the expert on those things--search for corsa guitars.

Don

Those Faded Standards are cool guitars. I never see them that cheap around here.

sonar

Great to know, how can you tell they aren't original? I'd love to know how to ID those features so I can talk to the seller about it, thanks!

The '05-'08 Standard Faded model came with exposed Zebra pickups (BB Pros) and blank truss rod covers. The capacitors in this guitar are 60's era Black Beauties. Stock would have been cheap little ceramic caps.

K701

Just buy the bloody thing.

Then hopefully we will only see one more thread (NGD) on this infamous guitar.

DylanS

Faded purchased and sounds awesome. 1500 and things is sweet, thanks for your input!

sonar

Faded purchased and sounds awesome. 1500 and things is sweet, thanks for your input!

Congrats on your Les Paul Faded Purchase!

I've had mine since it was new ('08) and still play it regularly. It's one of the first guitars I grab when playing around the house. Even just unplugged there's something special about playing a Les Paul, and the Faded has that special thing.

A lot of players liked to mod these guitars when they were new because the Standard Faded was, "the more affordable Standard." In reality they really don't need to be tweaked. They're great stock guitars as well.