• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Headstock shape is weird on new LP s ??

K701

These are modern instruments, not reissues. Of course Gibson will tweak things from year to year.

If you really want to get upset look at the USA SG 61 reissue. It has a huge headstock and is assymetrical. This aspect is more noticed from a rear shot.

jbzoso2002

This pic sums up what I was talking about in the op.

Thanks for posting, I had an 89 standard and the headstock was shaped more similar to
the current historics.

Jimmy

Those posted pics are pretty useless - these here gives you a better idea of the butt ugly shape of the modern ('Batman') headstock:

Headstock-Back-13.png

compare to Historic:

Headstock-Back.png

Maybe management deliberately decided to make the standard headstock of the cheapo lines uglier - "if you want to have a nice looking one, you gotta pony up". :##

Doc Sausage

Well it ain't no original and it ain't no Historic. Non issue for me as something like that wouldn't keep me from buying one. Looks just like one of them there new Gibson geetars too me.:##:hmm:laugh2:

THIS!

J T

Well Gibson changing it's own signature headstock shape can raise questions about authenticity. Chinese or Gibson? Thanks Gibson for mucking up the issue. Way to go guys.

K701

Well Gibson changing it's own signature headstock shape can raise questions about authenticity. Chinese or Gibson? Thanks Gibson for mucking up the issue. Way to go guys.

Change it from what? Can't tell if you were being sarcastic as despite the changes they all remain typically 'Gibson'?

The headstock of a Les Paul Standard has changed a few times over the years.

So really the regular LP Standard has never had the exact same shape as original bursts (closest was 2002-05)

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2_1.jpg

I mean the changes are subtle really, even the new ones. They're hardly this:

images.jpeg

J T

Well flattening out the top of the Les Paul three over three headstock makes it appear closer to Chinese rip off copies. If that's what Gibson wants then whatever.

K701

Well flattening out the top of the Les Paul three over three headstock makes it appear closer to Chinese rip off copies. If that's what Gibson wants then whatever.

Are Chibson's known for their flatness?

P4260058.jpg

_80.jpg

sonar

Yes, the Traditional in the photo has the general slightly wider than original Bursts that B Ingram talks about- that has been pretty much same for the past 20 odd years (with exceptions being 2002/2003 LP Standards, and from 2015 to present where they've been considerably wider than the one in the top photo).

I don't think the lengths have changed? (The logo is just slightly lower down on the Traditional with more space above than the Historic you show. Logo placement differs from guitar to guitar, even in the same run so not a good place to measure from)

I think you mean 2002-2008? That era Standard had narrow headstocks.

The launch of the Traditional series actually had a comment about changing the headstock, along with other features as "Things player's asked for..." Weird. They never asked me.

Mountains from mole hills.

It's all in good fun Al. The forum has argued over less.

Big Al

I think you mean 2002-2008? That era Standard had narrow headstocks.

The launch of the Traditional series actually had a comment about changing the headstock, along with other features as "Things player's asked for..." Weird. They never asked me.

It's all in good fun Al. The forum has argued over less.

Oh I know, just poking the bear!:teeth