• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Rate My Flame On New Standard

as1

So I just bought my dream guitar a 2016 les paul standard in heritage cherry sunburst. The flame on it is very subtle though compared to other 2016 models I have seen. When viewed from certain angles the flame almost completely disappears giving it a plain top look almost. I had another one that I traded in wth a beautiful top but tonally it was dead. It had a muffled sound that made it not have the les paul sound to it so I exchanged it blindly on one that had to be ordered and shipped it me. This one is a tone machine and feels great. And while the top wouldn't be my first preference it is definitely starting to grow on me. What do you guys think?
302HU1

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149899334@N04/K33876

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149899334@N04/2j4Vd4

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149899334@N04/302HU1

AA00475Bassman

Very nice top really like the figure, I'm not aware of a top rating system ! Welcome to the LPF !

as1

Very nice top really like the figure, I'm not aware of a top rating system ! Welcome to the LPF !

Thank you! I suppose my wording of "rate" was an incorrect term. I just hear a lot of talk about good and bad quality tops and was wondering how mine compared. I personally am loving it more and more the more I look at it and play it.

renderit

I would rate it a solid 13.759 on the Duxmier-Wooton-Bixly scale and a 3.79425 on the Myers/Thompsonburn Falme Measurement scale. Very Solid! Congratulations! Were I to inverse the lower ratio with the Hoily Moily Overlay sineusoidal Thompsonburn/Myers FLAME Meniscus Scale you arrive at a nearly perfect .96341 falme to flame ratio which has only been done once in the Les Paul Forum history! Congratulations again! We will bill you for running the computations at €2399.9675/hr. Any fluctuations in the meter readings or othe "aw shit" moments are not the fault of this publication and are not of any consequence to us. You snooze you lose, E. Pluribus Unum, Hoyay hoyay hoyay. Pocus okey docus. Oreo Hoyay oreo centros.

as1

I would rate it a solid 13.759 on the Duxmier-Wooton-Bixly scale and a 3.79425 on the Myers/Thompsonburn Falme Measurement scale. Very Solid! Congratulations! Were I to inverse the lower ratio with the Hoily Moily Overlay sineusoidal Thompsonburn/Myers FLAME Meniscus Scale you arrive at a nearly perfect .96341 falme to flame ratio which has only been done once in the Les Paul Forum history! Congratulations again! We will bill you for running the computations at €2399.9675/hr. Any fluctuations in the meter readings or othe "aw shit" moments are not the fault of this publication and are not of any consequence to us. You snooze you lose, E. Pluribus Unum, Hoyay hoyay hoyay. Pocus okey docus. Oreo Hoyay oreo centros.

Thank you for the very scientific and exact ratings lol. may as well just close the thread now :laugh2:

Big Al

For me it is much more pleasing to have the sunburst "pear". I just find it more classical "Gibson" and beats out the heretical and out of place abominable perimeter burst!:laugh2:

I'm a dinosaur, an old fossil that remembers Gibson's trademark Sunburst. Saddly also old enough to remember when a two piece top was rare and figured wood about as common as my dates with Super Models.

I have always viewed figure as a gift. It is all rather appealing IMO and if the figure is recognizable and unique, with flash and that peek a boo effect that is like a wink, .... well that makes it yours, no one elses.

Win win, if you ask me.:salude:salude

as1

For me it is much more pleasing to have the sunburst "pear". I just find it more classical "Gibson" and beats out the heretical and out of place abominable perimeter burst!:laugh2:

I'm a dinosaur, an old fossil that remembers Gibson's trademark Sunburst. Saddly also old enough to remember when a two piece top was rare and figured wood about as common as my dates with Super Models.

I have always viewed figure as a gift. It is all rather appealing IMO and if the figure is recognizable and unique, with flash and that peek a boo effect that is like a wink, .... well that makes it yours, no one elses.

Win win, if you ask me.:salude:salude

Very true. Thank you very much for your perspective. I love the guitar and appreciate your insight. Its originality has definitely started to grow on me. I have seen some flame tops that are the opposite, where there is just way way to much flame and don't have that "3D" effect. I guess in my case, subtlety is a good thing!

Big Al

Very true. Thank you very much for your perspective. I love the guitar and appreciate your insight. Its originality has definitely started to grow on me. I have seen some flame tops that are the opposite, where there is just way way to much flame and don't have that "3D" effect. I guess in my case, subtlety is a good thing!

It's all good brother and tone trumps flame in my book.:salude:hank

Elmore

Very beautiful top! I have flamey one as well. Do not let it bewitch you into staring at it more than you play it. They are that good lookin'. May your playing be just as attractive!