• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: 2016 Mark Knopler '58 VOS MK012

herb

Finally, my 1995 R8 got a little sister. A VOS Knopler, number MK012. Bought it from the folks at Wildwood.

The guitar arrived yesterday morning and I had it out and played it throughout the day until late last night. The finish is just what I wanted and the flame is subtle at some angles and strong at others. Certain lights make this vary, also. My first flame top and it's amazing just to look at.

After a while of just looking at it and visually getting my approval I gave it a close inspection. Binding was clean with no gaps or filler. No bleeding at all either. Same with the neck inlays, although the material (mop?) not as lively and colorful as my '95. At 8.5 lbs it is really comfortable to strap on. The mahogany back and neck has a nice, wavy grain and the finish is a lot lighter than other Les Pauls I've seen. Almost a Cherry red like an old 335. All hardware was mounted with no flaws. Gibson took their time on this one and it shows. It's built perfectly and looks beautiful.

The tone on this guitar is nasty-in a good way. My '94 R8 is the best LP I've ever played. I've owned it since new and have put it against LPs in stores (even R9s) and friend's Pauls but have always liked mine the best. This Knopler is giving it a strong run for it's money. One thing I like better is playability. The neck has a slightly slimmer profile but with the larger frets. This makes playing a tad easier and more comfortable when playing for a while. Less fatigue. Mainly, though, is the sound of these pups. Are they stock or special wind? Whatever they are it's knockout. The treble pup is rich with a strong bite. The neck pup is powerful but articulate. THese descriptions are subjective but I do know the sound is pleasing to me, and that's the important thing.

Here's a couple of pics I took of it. When I find time to put it down and actually stage some better one's I will. Happy camper.

P1000833_zpsuvlewbcn.jpg

P1000837_zps26tygeaj.jpg

P1000830_zpsgluvul9f.jpg

herb

Killer top!!! :yah

Not in the same league as your aged/signed but for me it's all I ever wanted. I just love the way this guitar plays and sounds. It doesn't even have to be a Knopler. I totally lucked out buying this guitar sight unseen.

I'd really like to be able to compare the two in person. By photograph the aged version seems to have a slightly darker, cooler vibe.

Thank you so much for the compliment! Have you been able to sit down with yours and play it or are you still out here on the West coast? If not, you are in for a real surprise.