• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Black Hendrix Monterey Strat- anyone going to see it?

becks bolero

Monterey Sound check.

20121130100508867.jpg

I never knew that pic was from monterey sound check!

it's too bad they didn't get any recordings of the sound checks, would have been interesting to hear

Jimi at Monterey is one of my alltime favourite live recordings. In fact, seeing footage of that when I was a kid inspired me to learn how to play guitar

Thank you Jimi

Jeff West

There are quite a few other Jim Marshall photos of the soundcheck, although the one above is iconic! When I was a kid it was available in record shops as a big b&w poster. I remember Bill Graham was quoted as saying that for him it was the single photo that best captured the spirit of rock.

becks-b: I always thought the same thing in the Monterey film, when you see the back of the guitar, wondered if he had written "Love" or something in white ink, it always looked like it could be letters. The undercoat showing thru!

Although there are many photos of Hendrix with that guitar, it seems like they were all taken throughout June, 1967 only, inc London, Monterey, Fillmore West, Golden Gate Park. Anyone know of any later ones, even later that year?

Any witnesses check out the Victoria & Albert exhibit?

67-05-39.jpg

Last edited:

becks bolero

hey neat to see a different angle of that!

that wear on the back makes sense, as it would be right about where his belt buckle etc would be. And since it's not flat there, but an edge, it would get more marked up than the regular buckle rash you see on the flat back of say, a Les Paul. Or the same strat played by a righty.

the wear on the top edge...well who knows? maybe it's from humping 4x12's :D

S. Cane

Gotta love a black stratocaster with a rosewood scale.

As for Hendrix in Monterey, if I had to choose a concert to attend if i could go back in time just once, that would be the one.

slammintone

That Monterrey Strat, for me is tied with Richie Blackmores '68 black Strat (famously heard on the Machine Head album) as being my two favorite Stratocasters ever. I've often wondered if Jimi used that particular axe on any studio recordings. She really sounded cool but alas, it now looks like two of the original tremolo springs have fallen off of her.:peace2

deytookerjaabs

So who played it in between? All that wear is righty wear no doubt and none of the pics/vids have all that wear on them yet the story is that it was stashed in an office the whole time? There's got to be some info missing.

thunderkyss

I've been watching videos on YouTube from the Monterey festival. Kept thinking, "damn, imagine if he had 22 frets & a two point trem."

deytookerjaabs

Hendrix fanatics have declared that most verifiable Strats from the Experience era, both live and studio, were veneer boards. I don't think it was a preference, but more of what was available to him at the time. Regardless, his tone profile (pre-Woodstock/BOG) makes more sense with a mid 60's Strat pickup.

I always thought this guitar was a dark blue color. Even today with that first pic you can see a little blue in the reflection around the input jack.

Hendrix was fully of aware of some people preferring the "old" guitars and brought it up in interviews. He played plenty of slab boards when coming up and obviously preferred "new" strats.

I'm not sure why anyone would think one design is better than the other, "veneer" boards were only the mainstays of guys like Hendrix, Gilmour, Mason, Paisley, etc.... That's a lot of radio play right there :)

Kris Ford

Hendrix was fully of aware of some people preferring the "old" guitars and brought it up in interviews. He played plenty of slab boards when coming up and obviously preferred "new" strats.

I'm not sure why anyone would think one design is better than the other, "veneer" boards were only the mainstays of guys like Hendrix, Gilmour, Mason, Paisley, etc.... That's a lot of radio play right there :)

Oh I am..elitism, snobbery, cork-sniffage..etc..

Zoomer

Does anyone know if that's a 64 or 65 ?? Small headstock trasitional logo

Monterey Sound check.

20121130100508867.jpg

THAT is THE GREATEST picture of Hendrix !!! Actually the photographers name was Jim Marshall - no relation to the Jim Marshall of Amplifier fame :dude:

I just think slab boards are more desirable/expensive because they are rarer - I don't know that veneer boards are looked down upon they sell for high prices.

Maxmc

I wonder where the maple necked strat from the Isle of Wight festival is. I have read where people that knew him say that was his favorite.

sikoniko

I wonder where the maple necked strat from the Isle of Wight festival is. I have read where people that knew him say that was his favorite.

Uli Roth owns the black 68 with maple lam neck which was said to be Hendrix's favorite.

sonar

Not sure why slab board's had the rep they did back in the day?

The mid 60's Strat pickup is a different beast compared to a '60-'62 era. I think Fender got it right when they released the Pure Vintage Strat pickup set. No other recent pickup tries to capture the '64-'65 era.

One nice thing about slab boards is that you have more to work with if you need to plane the neck.