• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

G Force tuner removal and replacement

travvyB

Hey guys, very new to the forum - great to be here. So ... like a lot of people I picked up my first Les Paul for a very good price (online - sight unseen). It is a 2015 Junior, TV yellow and it looks delicious. I simply couldn't pass it up the price I got it for. Unfortunately for me, I didn't really do my homework on the new models and when I pulled it out of the case I got quite a shock when I noticed it had a transformer robot-like tuner set up bolted onto the neck. "What the hell is this ugly piece of sh**??!!!" I asked.. straight to google I go.. To my delight, 90% of people hate them as well and are changing them out. Now I should add that I have never really played around with changing guitar parts etc before so I am a little reluctant to go drilling holes etc hence the reason I am here.

I have found some Kluson tuners that I want to install but I can't seem to find the information I am after to whether they will fit or not. This is them here -

http://www.realparts.com.au/tuning-...uson-3-on-a-plate-tuners-plastic-buttons.html

What I can't seem to find is the hole diameter of my guitar neck... the description of the tuners says that they require a 8.75mm hole.. Does this sound right? Also would this, '3 on a plate' style fit into my neck ok?

I know this topic has most likely been covered already but I couldn't seem to find it. So apologies if I am covering something that has been brought up previously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Trav

Robinottawa

I can guarantee that three on a plate work...mind you, I also carved a bone nut, got rid of the horrid Les Paul script, removed the hologram and refinished the back of the headstock...but that is beside the point. They fit.
87CE16F9-D234-42D7-8541-0ADDBB838A43_zpsnqgx9lsd.jpg

12630C7A-136D-452A-88B6-48B5D71BE116_zpsp2lqwg5d.jpg

Robinottawa

Can remember if I used conversion bushings or not, but they are cheap enough. They will fit the larger holes but maintain the vintage look.

travvyB

Hi guys thanks for the feedback. That junior come up mint mate, good work. I think I will give the Klusons a go after seeing how yours come up. I don't think I will attempt any of the other mods just yet though haha...

Cheers,
Trav

chasenblues

If you watched the video of the guy mounting his tuners without drilling pilot holes for the screws..I wouldn't do that.

This is my .02 cents worth, But i wouldn't want to risk possibly snapping off one or more of the screw heads and leaving the screw shaft in the headstock and giving you another issue to deal with.

This video is a bit more informative.

Last edited:

andy k

i went the other way, picked up a cheap g force, and the only gibson i could get it to fit on was a 2010 junior.
i wanted to put it on an Edwards jimmy page, but the holes didn't line up, also didn't line up on a 2006 faded-weird?
so i stuck them on my junior, took about 20 minutes to fit.
i don't really mind the looks,doesnt affect the balance at all and its fun to be able to go between usual tuning and e-flat / drop D / low D in a few seconds ,havent got round to doing a preset of e-flat-drop d-flat yet , but i think i will.
I didn't really think it would fit without opening up some holes--but it went straight on-pretty amazing technology really.
I don't play out live-so its just a fun thing to have around.
YMMV
cheers guys
andy k