• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My Two TB Replicas Spending Some Time Together

MapleFlame

Ed, curious if you have noticed on your first replica if the guitar has opened up more the months after you got her. Beautiful guitars for sure.

Ed A

Ed, curious if you have noticed on your first replica if the guitar has opened up more the months after you got her. Beautiful guitars for sure.

Absolutely! Wasn't sure how much I believed guitars would change but the builder said that there would be a noticeable change even within just one month and that was the case with both of them. Out of the box they sounded great but something real magical is happening after months of being played and letting the old wood settle in. To use Big Al's words, Number one is more of a moaner and number two is a biter! To me they both sound equally as great. I own only one complete set of vintage parts and PAFs so I was able to do an apples to apples comparison by testing and recording number one and then moving all of the vintage parts over to number two and all I can say is I wish I had a second set of old parts!

samsdad

Beautiful replicas
Where these custom ordered for you?
And who makes them
Is there a Website and Name for the Builder

jrock1

Now those are two beautiful LP replicas...the tone sample on the other thread is fabulous as well. I really think old wood mahogany is one of the necessary ingredients in trying to get the sound like the originals.

Progear

I remeber that my old TB replica sounded way better after a year of playing her, she really started to open up and the tone got more 3D.... or maybe I got better...:biggrin::hmm

samsdad

Absolutely! Wasn't sure how much I believed guitars would change but the builder said that there would be a noticeable change even within just one month and that was the case with both of them. Out of the box they sounded great but something real magical is happening after months of being played and letting the old wood settle in. To use Big Al's words, Number one is more of a moaner and number two is a biter! To me they both sound equally as great. I own only one complete set of vintage parts and PAFs so I was able to do an apples to apples comparison by testing and recording number one and then moving all of the vintage parts over to number two and all I can say is I wish I had a second set of old parts!

Ed
where can i get some information on the builder of these guitars
and find to more about them?
Thanks

Stoj

Two beauties Ed, I sure do miss my old TB - :salude

JJMMWG DuPree

They sure look good, and I can appreciate you wanting to use original PAFs (Although to my old ears Kent Armstrong's PAFs sound exactly the same as originals and I'm told that if you're a perfectionist Aaron Armstrong can build you an exact tone if you can afford his services), but why the old hardware? The guitars are replicas so what's wrong with replica hardware?

And...

I suddenly got curious.

Two threads, all these pictures and a video. Why do you never show the headstocks from the front?

"Dashed if I know, inspector, but I think we should be told". :laugh2:

AA00475Bassman

Very beautiful pair of guitars , really well done so much vibe !

Disclaimer, Love the tops you chose for these two fine guitars ! Flame monsters or killers Imo are over done even the originals with super flame now look like aged historics IMO . Thank you for posting

Ed A

They sure look good, and I can appreciate you wanting to use original PAFs (Although to my old ears Kent Armstrong's PAFs sound exactly the same as originals and I'm told that if you're a perfectionist Aaron Armstrong can build you an exact tone if you can afford his services), but why the old hardware? The guitars are replicas so what's wrong with replica hardware?

And...

I suddenly got curious.

Two threads, all these pictures and a video. Why do you never show the headstocks from the front?

[\QUOTE]

Hello there. I've tried just about every PAF replica pickup under the sun although I have not tried Armstrongs. I'm sure they sound great as well as many PAF replicas being built now. But I still can't quite find anything that does the vintage PAF thing exactly. That being said I cannot afford two sets of vintage parts for both guitars so one of them does have all replica parts. As far as why I used vintage replica parts on one of them, there is a couple of reasons. I have owned the vintage tailpiece and bridge and knobs and centralab pots and bumble bees for many years. I had them on my 50s goldtop conversions. So those are real 50s parts on real 50s guitars. So I already owned the parts why not put them on the replica. The other reason is, and this could be argued to death, but others will also tell you that there is still nothing that replicates exactly in every detail original vintage bridges and tailpieces and as far as I am concerned there is a certain tone that they give as well. As I said that could be argued to death but I know my own experience. As far as why the headstock isnt shown? Do some searching on replica guitars and you Will quickly get an idea as to why headstocks are often not shown. Thanks.

daze

Beautiful guitars aren't they Ed? The one in your youtube vid sounds stellar :salude

buyusfear

TB's work is pretty awe inspiring. Starting with how he's reverse engineered the process, you're getting such a complete experience with one of his guitars.
Super jealous! Congrats on two nonetheless.