• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help for mysterious PAT NO. pickups

mondogen

Hi everybody, I'm trying to identify a couple of PAT NO. pickups.

They come from an Ibanez Les Paul Custom Copy (1975).

Resistance is 7.37K (B) and 7.54K (N).

I don't know what's the black thing (glue or wax?).

Thanks.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

TM1

Those are basically late 70's T-Top's or even Tarback "Dirty Fingers". I'm betting T-Tops looking at the resistance and somebody dropped some epoxy on each coil bobbin screw to keep it from moving.

chasenblues

Just throwing this out there for consideration..If that stuff is epoxy i wouldn't attempt to remove the covers you'd probably damage the pickups.

mondogen

Isn't it strange that N has more resistance of B? They have different poles on the back, too.

guitplayer

Without date stamps on bottom, these T-tops would
date to 1974-76

TM1

Isn't it strange that N has more resistance of B? They have different poles on the back, too.

Back then there wasn't any specific "bridge position" or "neck position" pickup. The readings are right in the range of what was being wound by Gibson. A difference of a couple of hundred ohms is not much in the way of output. I have an early Pat.# that reads 7.4k and it's a really Loud pickup. I use to have it in the neck of my LP Custom but could never find a bridge pickup that could compete in volume. I ended up putting it in the bridge position and use a couple of mid Sixties T-Tops in the neck and middle. I installed ThroBak A-4 magnets in those T-Tops and the guitar has a perfect balance now! It's an `04 R-7 Custom that's been to Historic Makeovers!

latestarter

Easily fixed. Install N into B hole and vice versa.

My '60 ES-335 had a 8.4K PAF in the neck and 8.0K in the bridge. Sacrilege I know, but when I put the harness back in I swapped them. Glad I did.

Last edited:

mondogen

How much are they worth (maybe t-top, maybe tarback, maybe potted paf from late 70s/early 80s) ?

Hamerfan

Without the epoxy and in unaltered state maybe 150 a pop. But in this shape, whatever you get for. You can't even set the pole screws. The covers could be aftermarket, because every Gibson humbucker i have seen had two solder blobs on the back.

mondogen

The previous owner told me they are from a Gibson ES 335 Artist from 80-81, but I have no evidence. This model seems to have active electronics by Bob Moog.

Kris Ford

The previous owner told me they are from a Gibson ES 335 Artist from 80-81, but I have no evidence. This model seems to have active electronics by Bob Moog.

Artist pickups as far as I know had low DCR...

Oddly enough, I had a RD Custom..but never took the pickups out...:hmm:hmm

Big Al

The double row of pole piece drew holes on the bottom plate was a common feature of later Gibsons. In their present state I wouldn't attach much value on them. If they work and you like 'em, use 'em. If not, whatever you can get is all you can realistically expect.