• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'53 ES-295 with fixed arm Bigsby!

VamboRool

If you're serious about the guitar and it sounds that you are, ask the seller to take off the Bigsby and take a photo of the butt area of the guitar. If there are extra holes, more than what is required to attached the Bigsby then it is not original. On a side note, post 1955 ES-295s have an extra fret, 20 total vice 19 on the earlier ones. Now go buy a guitar and help the economy!

hogy

My '52 ES-295 has a Bigsby also. Not sure if it's original. I'm no Bigsby expert. But it's been on there for a very long time and has left a very pronounced shadow on the top, so I'm leaving it there. Has the same aluminum bridge as the one you're looking at, too.

Btw, I might sell mine, if you're interested.

412817509.jpg

tooold

I just spent some time trying to find a timeline for Bigby's. I know I've seen one somewhere, but couldn't turn it up.

I think, as in not sure, that they weren't widely available until 1955 or 1956, and the first models were the fixed arm model 58dutchie mentions. Forum member bigsby'd knows all about these, as his handle would indicate, but I haven't seen him around for a while. Anyway, they were hugely popular in the late '50's, and many were dealer-installed on new guitars, so a Bigsby might be original to the guitar, but not factory.

This is all going from memory, so if anyone knows exact details or can correct any of this, please do.

58dutchie

My '52 ES-295 has a Bigsby also. Not sure if it's original. I'm no Bigsby expert. But it's been on there for a very long time and has left a very pronounced shadow on the top, so I'm leaving it there. Has the same aluminum bridge as the one you're looking at, too.

Btw, I might sell mine, if you're interested.

412817509.jpg

PM in your inbox!