• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Weird Les Paul Studio problem!

Stayfreejc

I have recently purchased a Les Paul Studio T 2016 as a gigging guitar as my Trad is killing me with the weight. I played it at practice the other night through my Marshall DSL and with same gain settings that I use for all of my guitars I am getting horrible feedback when on the bridge pickup. It's not the usual high pitched feedback either. It's like a low frequency drone. It does not stop if I press the strings. The only way I can get it to stop is to either turn down the gain, which is not really an option, or actually press the pickup itself. So if I push down on the actual pickup it stops. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be hugely thankful as it is driving me nuts. It's basically unusable. Thanks

Don

Is the guitar brand new? Original pickups?

Don

Sounds like a defective pickup. Maybe a loose cover.

Yelly

Cut out a piece of foam rubber and fit it under the pickup in the pickup cavity. Sounds like your whole pickup is vibrating, the foam will do the same job as touching it with your finger.
The cover may well be loose or you may need to pot the pickup for your set up but it won't hurt to try the foam rubber.

Scott L

I have recently purchased a Les Paul Studio T 2016 as a gigging guitar as my Trad is killing me with the weight. I played it at practice the other night through my Marshall DSL and with same gain settings that I use for all of my guitars I am getting horrible feedback when on the bridge pickup. It's not the usual high pitched feedback either. It's like a low frequency drone. It does not stop if I press the strings. The only way I can get it to stop is to either turn down the gain, which is not really an option, or actually press the pickup itself. So if I push down on the actual pickup it stops. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be hugely thankful as it is driving me nuts. It's basically unusable. Thanks

Brand new???

Bring it back. Don't start messing with it and take the chance of someone saying you screwed it up.

Stayfreejc

Thanks, I will try the rubber in the pickup.

Even though its its brand new I'd rather just fix it instead of messing about swapping it as its a good bit of wood and don't want to risk getting a bad one sent in return.

B Ingram

I have recently purchased a Les Paul Studio T 2016 ... I am getting horrible feedback when on the bridge pickup. ... The only way I can get it to stop is to ... actually press the pickup itself. ...

According to Gibson's site, the stock bridge pickup is a 498T which is potted. So either the pickup is defective or it simply won't work with your rig.

In either case, you can try the foam rubber (not permanently installed). If that doesn't immediately resolve the problem, remove the foam rubber & make a warranty claim. As Scott L said, you don't want to give Gibson room to say you messed with the guitar and therefore the problem is on you.

With any luck, you could get a replacement pickup free without returning the whole guitar, since you like it. You're most likely to have this outcome if there is a Gibson Warranty Center near you (so you don't have to ship the guitar back to Gibson and wait months for it to be resolved and shipped back to you).

Mars Hall

I agree with Don. Your description sounds as if the pickup cover wasn't installed properly. If there's a gap, it will cause this type of scenario or it's a bad pu.

Stayfreejc

Thanks for all the input guys. After thinking about it I am just going to upgrade the pickups as I am not to keen on them anyway. I was thinking about putting the Seymour Duncan hot rodded kit in it. As my Les Paul has the coil tap pots will this set work ok? I am struggling to find any info on these pickups in a Studio model. Cheers

Yelly

Even a fully potted pickup can cause this problem if the whole pickup vibrates. This happens when you use lots of gain/ stack over drives/ volume. If you need this much gain, foam rubber can sort it. Even then you need to get it just right. Too little the pickup still vibrates, too much and too much is transmitted back from the body.
I have done this with several Les Pauls and PRS. The owners all had one thing in common - a wish to be able to approximate Brian May. Pickups in these guitars range from 489, 490, Custombuckers, Mules , PRS hfs, PRS Dgt......none of the pickups were faulty in themselves.
My advice would be try the foam to cure the problems and only then consider what pickups you may prefer as it is likely the problem will pop up with other pick ups. Use your cash wisely.