• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2017 Gibson USA lineup- the crickets are deafening

Kutt

Awfully quiet around here on the 2017 lineup. Too much of a yawn? A turnoff? A lack of poker chips irritating people (seems to be a big deal to a lot of guys)? Waiting for their web site to update? Couldn't care less? :)

captainvideo

Lack of poker chips is sort of an odd change.

I do see the Classic and Traditional have ABR-1 bridges. I guess it's easier to add a poker chip than to swap a Nashville for an ABR-1.

mattnew33

Awfully quiet around here on the 2017 lineup. Too much of a yawn? A turnoff? A lack of poker chips irritating people (seems to be a big deal to a lot of guys)? Waiting for their web site to update? Couldn't care less? :)

um... at gibson.com I see the 2017 acoustic lineup... If I click on Gibson USA electrics it takes me to 2016s. If I click on 2017 on the left it says coming soon.

Kutt

um... at gibson.com I see the 2017 acoustic lineup... If I click on Gibson USA electrics it takes me to 2016s. If I click on 2017 on the left it says coming soon.

They have been available on most of the big box dealer web sites for a couple weeks now. Pics, descriptions, pricing, etc...

1all's Pub

I've seen a few 2017 Classics in person (even played one of them in Green Ocean Burst... very cool color).

The lack of a poker chip is dumb, but easily/cheaply remedied. The ABR-1 is nice on the Classics and Trads... except I really wish it wasn't the rattle-prone wired version. Non-wired is better IMO. Almost got it right... almost. :spabout

Rolled binding on bound models is interesting... but when I played one I honestly didn't feel any difference. And the difference in looks is very subtle. Gibson is making a big deal about it, but it's really kind of a non-event to me.

Color choices are VERY limited this year though on the Trad and Standard. Trads are only available in Honey Burst, Heritage Cherry Sunburst and a new color, Antique Burst. Honey Burst and Heritage Cherry Sunburst are classics, but the Antique Burst is quite unattractive IMO. :dang I miss colors like Iced Tea and Tobacco/Desert Burst and Light Burst, etc. Just not a lot options. Standards are almost as bad from a color choice perspective, Honey Burst, Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Bourbon Burst (which looks more like a Root Beer Burst in the pics) and Blueberry Burst (which is cool, but not my thing). Also the Trad changed to Burstbuckers... which I am not a fan of... so meh.

The Trad goes back to non-weight relieved... I know to many this is good news, but I prefer the weight savings offered by the traditional weight relief (9-Swiss cheese holes) of the 2008-12 & 2016 Trads. And the Standard has something new called "Utlra Modern Weight Relief"... this will no doubt be the source of many internet discussions (once Gibson actually tells us what it is).

The real winner this year seems to be the Classic. Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Gold Top or the aforementioned eye-popping Green Ocean Burst with 57/57+ pups and traditional weight relief is a winner. The one I played was very nice. They finally put the proper 4th knob back on the Classic. As I said before, I do wish the ABR-1 was the non-wired version, but oh well. I also wish the Classic was available in a 50s neck... but the 60s neck on the one I played was at least nice and rounded (ie, not asym like on the Standard). So it felt decent in-hand.

The new "cheap" line (M2 and Studio Custom Special) are interesting... and will probably sell well. The HP line with all the added chrome looks cheesy though (chrome pickup rings, chrome TRC, chrome knobs:rolleyes:).

All in all though... the 2017s are not compelling me to buy one. I was waiting to see if they would (as I am/was in the market)... but no thanks. I prefer the 2016 Trad (obviously I'm a Trad guy). In fact, I just bought another 2016 Trad (in Iced Tea) two days ago instead of a 2017 (which the store also had in stock).

The really good news though will be for lefties... as apparently the entire 2017 lineup will be available to order lefty.

mattnew33

They have been available on most of the big box dealer web sites for a couple weeks now. Pics, descriptions, pricing, etc...

Found them on one of those sites...

I think about them what I thought about the 2016's .. which is...
Les Paul Faded T is $799
Les Paul Standard T is $2799

By the specs, these are the same guitar, save the figured top, bound fretboard, and gloss vs satin finish. out of those the gloss finish takes the most effort = time = money, but thats meaningless b/c plenty of $200 guitars have glossy finishes. I just don't see what you get for $2k to be perfectly honest... I know they play differently and will sound a bit different...

I think they will sell, but I think the pricing is off. You can still buy brand new 2014 Les Paul Standard Pro II's all day long for $1500, Amazon even has a few 2014 Les Paul standards at $1700, though you buy those site unseen.

I wonder long term how these will be looked upon...

vince95

You cannot compare the Faded with the Standard. They may sound a lot similar but technically, there is a lot more labour to build a Standard. All these small things like binding and buffed gloss finish are time consuming. The AAA top costs too, and the body is thicker on Standard while the faded is using 2nd quality wood. Time in Asia costs less, these guitars are made in USA and labour is more expensive than in China.

I just read the specs and there is very small things in common between the two models. Different pickups, different tuning keys, no push pull options. But that's true, the two guitars will sound similar, most of the price difference is for the eyes.

mattnew33

You cannot compare the Faded with the Standard. They may sound a lot similar but technically, there is a lot more labour to build a Standard. All these small things like binding and buffed gloss finish are time consuming. The AAA top costs too, and the body is thicker on Standard while the faded is using 2nd quality wood. Time in Asia costs less, these guitars are made in USA and labour is more expensive than in China.

I just read the specs and there is very small things in common between the two models. Different pickups, different tuning keys, no push pull options. But that's true, the two guitars will sound similar, most of the price difference is for the eyes.

respectfully, as I think you were replying to me...

• All Gibsons are made in the USA
  • Almost all guitars except the faded's have a buffed gloss finish. My $900 made in USA strat is made in USA and has glossy nitro as an example. My point here being that can't really justify an almost $3k guitar.
  • AAA tops do cost more than standard tops, but even if you wanted to go buy 1, so you don't get Gibson's bulk discount... ( I'm assuming Gibson wouldn't pay the same for a AAA top as you or I would as they buy thousands and I by 1... ) you are looking at $100 difference. It is not that big.
  • Yes the faded's likely use different wood... . BUT.. BUT... both the standard and faded are advertised as being mahogany with a maple cap... even the african mahogany's are getting more expensive now so using cheaper mahogany may not be such a huge cost savings. If I look for myself.. to by a single honduran blank it is ~$120 for luthier quality blanks, and $75 for african mahogany blanks. Gibson would be able to get these much cheaper buying in bulk...
  • Pickup construction, whether it is burstbucker 1/2 or 3 or 57 classics isn't going to have a significant cost difference to make

To be clear, I DID NOT say that the faded should cost the same as the standard. You are right there are upgrades to the Standard that make it look significantly nicer, play nicer, and make it a better guitar...and they do add to the cost.... I think legitimately the standard probably should cost $1k more based on the changes. I base this partly on the aforementioned fact that you can still buy new 2014 standards for $1800. I think the other 1k is the prestige .. which only the future will tell us if the 2017 models were worth the asking price.

again, not trying to attack you, just would like to debate a couple of your points.. :)

mattnew33

And... I'm not particularly interested in arguing the cost difference... I realize I'm just one opinion..I don't necessarily think its way off base.. I just think it a bit odd and wonder how the market will treat these once they come available as used....

it was just the first thought that came to mind when I looked at the lineup.

For the actual guitars themselves... I really would like that V and the firebird. I think those recent releases are awesome. especially with the mini hums. Makes for a cool look. I just need to find a store with them.

Zentar

Refusing to update their website seems counter productive to any marketing sales strategy Ive ever seen. I really can't understand an outdated website. This blows my mind. I'm looking for another LP right now and the Gibson website is absolutely useless. Is this some sort of NWO stealth marketing strategy?

vince95

(...)I think the other 1k is the prestige .. which only the future will tell us if the 2017 models were worth the asking price.(...)
No problem. You are completely right to comment and you know, I even agree with you.
  • You forgot to include the few hours for binding though. Let's say, 2 hours to glue and scratch the binding.
  • Then you have the gig bag instead of the hard case. Another $100
  • The neck is maple for the faded
  • The neck has dots only in the faded
That's true all elements added, it's not $2000. If you look closely to every single part bought in bulk, there should not be such a price difference between the two models. But that's the standard and there's nothing like a standard. Compare the prices of 1959 models.

Here in Europe price difference is $2120 (if you convert, and that's including taxes) but that's comparing street prices. I paid my 2016 T Standard new for much less than the street price. I also have a black 1993 Les Paul Studio. I bought it new for much less than they are now in 2016 ! I remember that the Studio was half the price of a Standard, roughly. Sound wise they are very close in regular positions. And you know, I even prefer the sound of the Studio in the neck position, but when you look at them, you understand the price difference.

Refusing to update their website seems counter productive to any marketing sales strategy Ive ever seen. I really can't understand an outdated website. This blows my mind. I'm looking for another LP right now and the Gibson website is absolutely useless. Is this some sort of NWO stealth marketing strategy?
They are waiting for Summer NAMM 2017

Ddsshadow

I am curious as to what the differences are between the 2016 and 2017 studio faded t line up. I know that the burstbuckers are on the 2016 and that the 2017 comes with 490s. I am confused about the neck though. The sweetwater website states that the neck on the 2017 is maple, while the musicians friend site states that it is mahogany. Anyone have more information about this?

SimonBarSinister

The paint jobs on all of the ones I have seen look very odd. Almost like Home Depot stain... They look "off" to me... I have noticed that most the weights are listed at 9+ across the board on all LPs... The lack of poker chip is obscene.

The other thing....This has been going on for 3 years now...Why do all of the Vs and Explorers only come in Black and Wine? No Natural (probably from lack of good wood) or any other cooler colors...

Not really interested in anything I have seen...

Kutt

The paint jobs on all of the ones I have seen look very odd. Almost like Home Depot stain... They look "off" to me... I have noticed that most the weights are listed at 9+ across the board on all LPs... The lack of poker chip is obscene.

The other thing....This has been going on for 3 years now...Why do all of the Vs and Explorers only come in Black and Wine? No Natural (probably from lack of good wood) or any other cooler colors...

AMS has an Exclusive Run Explorer in Natural (2016 model though, I believe), at a comically higher price than the other finishes for no apparent reason:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-DSXR16-NAGH3

Gary J

I got very interested in the '17 Tribute Goldtop. So interested in fact, that I just got one yesterday from Sweetwater. 8lbs! Did I mention it was gold? I need to do a review in the next few days. Lovin' it so far!

Justaguyinaz

The lack of Goldtops in the lineup is a little weird to me. However, I would like to pick up a 17 tribute just to keep my 16 50s tribute company.
But I won't.
Because even though my wife told me no, and even though I can't afford it right now, (you know, Booze, Cocaine, and Prostitutes :hee)
Ive still got an incredibly large hard on for that new Standard in Bourbon and I am holding out hope I will somehow be able to afford one before they are gone.:2cool