• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary re-fret advice (UK member)

rze99

<article>
I've a lovely wine red 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary. It's been with me since '82 and had been gigged pretty hard before me too. It's 10 pounds and perfectly balanced and I recently installed some hand-wired pickups, '57s from the Creamery, UK.

I had the frets dressed around 1988 I think and I remember the luthier saying, "Well, it's a fretless wonder indeed - there's not much left to deal with!"

I'm now thinking about a complete re-fret for it, though it doesn't have string grooves, the frets are very flat and low.

If you've re-fretted your Les Paul Custom (or standard):

- What frets did you use?
- How much did it cost you?
- What you would do differently with hindsite?
- If you are in England, to whom did you take it or who would you recommend?

Cheers for your thoughts.

BTW here she is:

img_1791-2-jpg.377531

</article>

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
Yours sure looks a hell of a lot better than mine !! :##

rxcns4hqcbgnskgh03zr.jpg

shred

Killer Norlin :dude:

I like big frets so I always go with Dunlop 6100 fret wire. I never bothered getting the nibs done. It just seemed like an unnecessary expense.

As far as the money and finding a good tech in your area, ask around. Good luck :peace2

Oh, and keeping with the cherry custom theme

image_zps227r5fzq.jpeg

rze99

I like big frets so I always go with Dunlop 6100 fret wire. I never bothered getting the nibs done. It just seemed like an unnecessary expense.

As far as the money and finding a good tech in your area, ask around. Good luck :peace2

image_zps227r5fzq.jpeg
Those frets. Wow. Enough room for fingers in between em?

rze99

I had a very nice re-fret on a Telecaster by Ged Green near Manchester, first class job I has stainless frets absolutely wonderful to play.

Checkout his site http://www.gedgreen.co.uk

Geoff P
Thank you for the info re Ged. Probably a wee bit far for me in central London. There are a three possibles I have in mind. Just looking to hear some new names.

shred

Those frets. Wow. Enough room for fingers in between em?

Heh... I love 'em. If you haven't tried jumbo frets, I'd recommend hitting the shops and trying them ---ideally on a guitar that's well set up.

Stainless steel frets are really cool too. The only downside is they're usually significantly more expensive.

Last edited:

DW concepts

The depth of red on that custom from the OP is fantastic.
Im not usually a fan of witchhats but they look great.

Kris Ford

image_zps227r5fzq.jpeg

Not Cherry, but same theme going on, (and a year and ahalf or so later..my late '75/early '76 LP DLX):
014_1.jpg

Has the typical LOW WIDE frets, but I've adapted to them.

rze99: Love your LPC!:salude