• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Classic Rock II

OldStrummer

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum, so if not, please move it accordingly.

I just purchased a new 2015 LP "Classic Rock II," which is a limited edition LP with a marble-looking top. It features G-Force tuners, a 15db boost toggle where one of the tone pots would be, and Burst Bucker 1 & 2 pickups (neck/bridge).

I was excited to get this guitar, as I've never owned a Les Paul, and I liked the distinctive look of the CSR-II, and I was swayed by the "last one remaining" teaser. All of the reviews I've read about this guitar were positive (with the possible exception of the G-Force tuners), so I felt confident buying it without ever playing it.

So, yesterday I unpacked it, tuned it (and thought G-Force tuners kinda neat), plugged it in and started playing.

Ugh.

OK, so maybe that's a little harsh. When I picked up and played my new Stratocaster for the first time, it was love at first strum. I guess what bothers me most about this LP is that for some reason the three-way toggle has a very noticeable and pronounced effect on the volume produced by the guitar. If I set my volume and tone controls for the up (rhythm) position, and then toggle to the down (treble) position, the volume output of the guitar almost disappears! This is not the way I expect a guitar to behave, but I'm new to electrics, and to Les Pauls in particular. As one of the premier guitars known throughout the world, I'm either not "getting" it, or there is something about the guitar that isn't right.

Granted, it's only been a few hours, but my initial reaction to the instrument is less than that "this-is-awesome-I-own-a-Les-Paul" feeling I thought I would have.

Any tips or advice?

Thanks!

mattnew33

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum, so if not, please move it accordingly.

I just purchased a new 2015 LP "Classic Rock II," which is a limited edition LP with a marble-looking top. It features G-Force tuners, a 15db boost toggle where one of the tone pots would be, and Burst Bucker 1 & 2 pickups (neck/bridge).

I was excited to get this guitar, as I've never owned a Les Paul, and I liked the distinctive look of the CSR-II, and I was swayed by the "last one remaining" teaser. All of the reviews I've read about this guitar were positive (with the possible exception of the G-Force tuners), so I felt confident buying it without ever playing it.

So, yesterday I unpacked it, tuned it (and thought G-Force tuners kinda neat), plugged it in and started playing.

Ugh.

OK, so maybe that's a little harsh. When I picked up and played my new Stratocaster for the first time, it was love at first strum. I guess what bothers me most about this LP is that for some reason the three-way toggle has a very noticeable and pronounced effect on the volume produced by the guitar. If I set my volume and tone controls for the up (rhythm) position, and then toggle to the down (treble) position, the volume output of the guitar almost disappears! This is not the way I expect a guitar to behave, but I'm new to electrics, and to Les Pauls in particular. As one of the premier guitars known throughout the world, I'm either not "getting" it, or there is something about the guitar that isn't right.

Granted, it's only been a few hours, but my initial reaction to the instrument is less than that "this-is-awesome-I-own-a-Les-Paul" feeling I thought I would have.

Any tips or advice?

Thanks!

honestly it sounds like your guitar needs a setup.
I'd do this....

RTFM on the manual as yours isn't a standard les paul, and make sure things are setup properly, take note of string heights and pickup heights etc and make sure those are set.
Make sure the battery is new and in good working order.

at first glance I'm thinking battery might be dead, pickups might not be setup to have the same output levels due to distances from strings so there is a strong variation.

report back on findings... and we'll go from there.