• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Binding in cutaway on Gibson Les Paul Custom

Mats A

When did the Les Paul Custom revert back to the thin binding in the cutaway? My 1995 LP Custom has the thin binding. Didn't the Standart revert back like in 2002 or something?

gibson-r8

Starting in 1976 and for some years wide cutaway bindings were used. I don't know when they reverted back to thin, sorry.

shred

Here's a comparison pic contrasting the binding on two Norlin Customs. The guitar on the left is a Cherry '73, the guitar on the right is a Black '76... Note the thinner binding on the '73...

Mid '75 is the beginning of the wide binding. Not sure when they went back to thin tho.

photo_zps4e7a0977.jpg

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?194213-Binding-on-Les-Paul-Custom

shred

Well, take a look at your Customs maybe we can pin it down.

Doing a quick search looking at 1990 Customs.... It looks like they still had the wide binding. Hard to tell for sure tho...

GearPig

My '78 Custom has wide binding just like the '76 pictured above.