LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Old Vibro Champ

Les Paul Forum Member 440sixpack's Avatar

Old Vibro Champ

Hello,
    Just picked up a Vibro Champ, Unable to find any dating info. Any help is appreciated. I see a serial number A609295
    Edit...A6+5-digits - 1976 Just found info Amp doesn't work and missing input jack... Didn't pay much for it and it'll look cool next to my other amps... What's with the large assembly on the back of the speaker?
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 440sixpack; 09-07-16 at 04:46 PM.

Re: Old Vibro Champ

The speaker is a replacement. Probably just some goofy speaker from the 80's with a huge square magnet.

Got an amp guy to get it up and running?

I'm gonna look around for an amp guy tomorrow. Don't know much about them... Do you think it's worth putting any money into since the speaker has been replaced?

Where are you located? Maybe we can recommend someone.

I'm located in Cleveland

Les Paul Forum Member

that speaker is an Eminence from the 47th week of 1984. You would want to know if it is a 4 ohm speaker, imho. IF it is, it might be good to go in the amp. good luck with it....nice amp to have.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by 440sixpack View Post
    I'm gonna look around for an amp guy tomorrow. Don't know much about them... Do you think it's worth putting any money into since the speaker has been replaced?
    People often replace the original speakers with this era Vibro Champ. The value of the amp isn't drastically reduced.

Replacement speakers for Vibro Champs are usually pretty affordable. The speaker in there might also be okay if or when you get the amp running.

The bigger question are the components and if there's been any modding to the amp. A pic of the inside of the chassis (using proper safety precautions) would tell us a lot about the amp.

Looks like an original, or very old, Mallory can cap.

" A pic of the inside of the chassis (using proper safety precautions) would tell us a lot about the amp. "

Going to disassemble... stand by; may take a few days to get to. Thank for the replies gents. Will post pics soon.

It works for about 5 minutes then fades out...One of the input jacks is missing. Whatcha think? Repair or sell?

Les Paul Forum Member

Tech time. A fresh multisection cap can and a fresh bias cap might get the amp going again. I would not turn it on again before removing that start washer that is lying against V1. (;^) I also would not grab that washer with one hand while holding the chassis with the other hand. An insulated pair of needle-nose pliers would be a good tool there.....or a wooden chopstick might get it done for you.
    the amp looks to be original but for that speaker....and the impedance of that speaker needs to be known. That amp does not want to see an 8 ohm load. IT is tech time....and the amp is worth the repair IF the repair is done properly.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar

While you are in there, look for the date of the amp. They are usually dated and signed. Looks somewhere around '71 to me with the square power switch.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Les Paul Forum Member

IF there are only 5 digits following that A in the serial number, then it is a 1971 amp. Good eye, Bob. There will be codes on the transformers, pots, and that multi-section can. The tranny codes are important in determining the value....originality still counts, in my book.

That is a beautiful find. Get it recapped and checked over and you have a great tone machine. I did a 10 inch speaker mod on my Vibro Champ, and recently did a 3 prong power cord mod and changed out the output transformer.

Les Paul Forum Member

IF one comes across a vintage Jensen P8RS, there is no reason to go to a 10" speaker. That P8RS makes the little Champ/VC amps much bigger.....

There's a lockwasher floating around by the bottom left tube in the photo. Get that out of there! Also the power fading out could easily just be bad a rectifier tube.

"...this thing is a destroyer of planets, a tonal doom-bringer, a wooden warrior from another dimension." Frutiger

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by montesada View Post
    There's a lockwasher floating around by the bottom left tube in the photo. Get that out of there! Also the power fading out could easily just be bad a rectifier tube.
    As noted in post #11.....let's hope it comes out before firing it up again, right?

When my Champ was fading in and out it turned out to be a cracked tube socket. Super cool amp. I would find a good amp tech and fix it in a heartbeat.

Get it checked out they are GREAT recording amps, I love my '69!

Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    Get it checked out they are GREAT recording amps, I love my '69!
    Yep. I keep my little '71 Champy at the studio where I work.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Les Paul Forum Member Humbuster's Avatar

I have a mint all original 73 with an interesting provenance. As I no longer gig, it is my only amp and sounds fantastic.

Great find, BTW.
    1 room country shack,
    Gibsons Benchmark R5, J185 Custom, G&L Bluesboy and Martin D18

My '69 is outstanding - as close to the sound I am looking for. after some adjustments. I have the orig. speaker (in great shape in a box) and have an 8SC in there now. Like all have said, get I checked out by a good amp tech - the tech will let you know if it's worth fixing. If it is - go for it.
    Last edited by Doc8405; 08-12-17 at 11:59 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

I had a '78 VC that I got brandy new that year and later so stupidly lent it to a fellow guitar player that I thought was a friend.

I never got it back.

He ain't a friend of mine no more.