• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Got Me Another TB '59 Replica!!!

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! Another fine guitar from TB... I really want one of those...

The neck pup tone is off the rails... Congrats Ed... :salude

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
I am not an expert on the latest and greatest repro parts at all... but I will tell you some things that have worked for me.... I like the Faber ABR1, its not perfectly vintage accurate, it has no wire but is designed so that the saddles cant fall out... but it is correct alloys and most importantly sounds close to my original.... I like the Creamtone knobs and switch ring a lot... and I love the Bartlett pickup rings.... Best pots for me are the CTS custom taper (Dimarzio branded), very easy turning and similar roll up and taper to vintage Centralabs...

Cool, I thought you'd dig those pots. They sound and work just like the pots in my '61 345.

akstrat61

Great looking build!!! :jim

I just wonder how much of your tone is coming from the PAF's? I have always wanted to buy a set, but can't pull the trigger. With so many good choices of repo pups, it has always been at the back of my mind to buy a real set!!:dude::dude:

Ed A

Great looking build!!! :jim

I just wonder how much of your tone is coming from the PAF's? I have always wanted to buy a set, but can't pull the trigger. With so many good choices of repo pups, it has always been at the back of my mind to buy a real set!!:dude::dude:

Well all I can do is tell you my own experience (not looking to start any wars here).... Through the years Ive had probably about two dozen PAFs.... Ive also had Throbak, Wizz, OX4s, Holmes, Rolph, Timbucker, Van Zandts, Fralin, Wagners, True 60s and many more.... And I currently have a set of Stephens on order, curious to check them out... You are right, there are SO many good pickups makers out there it really is not necessary to spend the huge price difference on real PAFs.... BUT, that being said as much as I would like to be able to sell the PAFs and replace them with something new, it never happens... In a nutshell there IS still a difference!!!

jrock1

Fantastic looking and sounding replica! Ive always said that I thought the old growth mahogany is one of those necessary ingredients in getting as close to the sound of the originals as possible. This one sounds superb!