• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1971/1958 Reissue Advice

Thirteenluck

I recently acquired a 71 Les Paul that is on of the 1958/1954 reissue. I got it from a friend locally. It's really a great playing guitar (and heavy). Anyway it's far from original and got a effective but ugly heard stock repair. Besides that it's missing the original bridge, the bridge pickup is routed for a humbucker, and it's got grovers on it. I'm not really worried about value because I intend on keeping it.

I'm thinking of trying to get a bit closer on how it was set up. First, It has an period correct P90 but not original bridge P90 that is included. However I believe I'll need to get some goof rings for it to cover the route. These are proving harder to find than I thought.

Second, it's got a badass bridge on it. It works and sounds great but I just hate the look of it. I was looking at a pigtail or mojoaxe wrap bridge for it.

I guess I could get another pick guard and have it cut to fit the P90 and humbucker, get a cover for the humbucker and make it look the the "Snatch" guitar.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated!

http://s1376.photobucket.com/compon...7-609E-4A4B-955D-D10654154C12_zpsjfswouiu.jpg

GuitarMikey

If you plan on keeping it as you said, my vote would to be to "make it look like the snatch guitar" :salude

Thirteenluck

If you plan on keeping it as you said, my vote would to be to "make it look like the snatch guitar" :salude

Well, like I said those goof rings are a little harder to find than I anticipated.

Any advice on a wrap bridge? The mojoaxe ones look good. They also make custom cut pickguards :hmm

mattnew33

I recently acquired a 71 Les Paul that is on of the 1958/1954 reissue. I got it from a friend locally. It's really a great playing guitar (and heavy). Anyway it's far from original and got a effective but ugly heard stock repair. Besides that it's missing the original bridge, the bridge pickup is routed for a humbucker, and it's got grovers on it. I'm not really worried about value because I intend on keeping it.

I'm thinking of trying to get a bit closer on how it was set up. First, It has an period correct P90 but not original bridge P90 that is included. However I believe I'll need to get some goof rings for it to cover the route. These are proving harder to find than I thought.

Second, it's got a badass bridge on it. It works and sounds great but I just hate the look of it. I was looking at a pigtail or mojoaxe wrap bridge for it.

I guess I could get another pick guard and have it cut to fit the P90 and humbucker, get a cover for the humbucker and make it look the the "Snatch" guitar.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated!

http://s1376.photobucket.com/compon...7-609E-4A4B-955D-D10654154C12_zpsjfswouiu.jpg

What a great story, I need more friends like that. My advice is below and falls into the category of trying to get it back to 2 p-90s without changing the history of the guitar...

how are your woodworking skills?
You could pretty easily do the following,

create template of current bridge humbucker route,
cut maple plug to match template so that it fills the hole.
visit someplace like reranch to get a goldtop spray, paint plug OUTSIDE of guitar,
put plug in guitar, create template for P90,
OUTSIDE of guitar, route plug for p90, this would basically give you an exo-skeleton plug that fits snug in the guitar and snug with the p-90. Its going to be visible on close inspection, but you haven't "boogered" up the guitar any more than it already has been, and you also haven't done anything irreversible should you regret it later, you can always pull the plug out and the p-90 out.

fit plug, fit p-90, maybe put pick guard back on so its less noticeable. find a newer antiqued nickel bridge.. I agree on the bridge needs to go.

..play..

very cool guitar btw, I've always wanted a goldtop, but they always seem to elude me...

Thirteenluck

I've found some interesting stuff on here regarding these Norlin 54/58s... The serial number was eradicated when the headstock repair was done. I've black lighted it and can see the made in the USA and a couple numbers. The P90 doesn't have the embossed Gibson logo and the pots read 1377142. So it's possible this is actually a 71 or 72.. Idk and I'm not sure if anyone does.

The the bridge pots read T0-027. There's another threaded where a guy has a similar 54/58 with a humbucker/P90 combo with the same pot numbers. Strange.

Thirteenluck

What a great story, I need more friends like that. My advice is below and falls into the category of trying to get it back to 2 p-90s without changing the history of the guitar...

how are your woodworking skills?
You could pretty easily do the following,

create template of current bridge humbucker route,
cut maple plug to match template so that it fills the hole.
visit someplace like reranch to get a goldtop spray, paint plug OUTSIDE of guitar,
put plug in guitar, create template for P90,
OUTSIDE of guitar, route plug for p90, this would basically give you an exo-skeleton plug that fits snug in the guitar and snug with the p-90. Its going to be visible on close inspection, but you haven't "boogered" up the guitar any more than it already has been, and you also haven't done anything irreversible should you regret it later, you can always pull the plug out and the p-90 out.

fit plug, fit p-90, maybe put pick guard back on so its less noticeable. find a newer antiqued nickel bridge.. I agree on the bridge needs to go.

..play..

very cool guitar btw, I've always wanted a goldtop, but they always seem to elude me...

Thanks the guy I got it from is really cool and we did a trade that we are both happy with! These guitars are heavy but are amazing.

a real 53-55 would be dream guitar so I'd lim to have it as close to original as possible.

This is sounds like a brilliant idea but well outside my abilities! :##

The goof rings would be the easiest way to go but I gotta find them!

ive got a good luthier that could pull it off though!

GuitarMikey

[QUOTEAny advice on a wrap bridge? The mojoaxe ones look good. They also make custom cut pickguards :hmm[/QUOTE]

The mojoaxe tailpieces are great and i highly recommend them. I have 4 guitars that currently have them. I put the originals in the case.

Mike

riograndemud

Big Al just helped me with mine. I had a German Bohehmith Bridge on there and he say's it probably works but why in the world? Found a use'd Tone Pros and It works well and looks ok + it locks.
I would leave the Grovers on there and put a cool ass paf in the bridge position. Then you got a bit of both worlds. Unfortunately the damage has been done, "Broken Headstock, Bridge Route, Drilled for Grovers, no serial #, etc. etc. etc.
Mine has Schallers Tuners on it, has been drilled for a Bigsby, and has tiny cracked down the maple at each of the bridge nuts though their glued, and stable. I can send you some pics.
Also, check under the cover of the neck p90, maybe the cover has just been replaced?
Anyways again personally I would not put a lot of cash in mine. What's been done can't be reversed and effects value. Just keepin her stable, tuned, and ready to roll. Ya know?
Good luck!

Kris Ford

I've found some interesting stuff on here regarding these Norlin 54/58s... The serial number was eradicated when the headstock repair was done. I've black lighted it and can see the made in the USA and a couple numbers. The P90 doesn't have the embossed Gibson logo and the pots read 1377142. So it's possible this is actually a 71 or 72.. Idk and I'm not sure if anyone does.

The the bridge pots read T0-027. There's another threaded where a guy has a similar 54/58 with a humbucker/P90 combo with the same pot numbers. Strange.

Somewhere on here, a forum bother says that ALL of these had those pot codes, some shipped in '71, the rest in '72.:hmm

guitplayer

Yes, those all had the same pot codes. serial #`s 600000-699000.
Most if not all, are from 1972.

Thirteenluck

[QUOTEAny advice on a wrap bridge? The mojoaxe ones look good. They also make custom cut pickguards :hmm

The mojoaxe tailpieces are great and i highly recommend them. I have 4 guitars that currently have them. I put the originals in the case.

Mike[/QUOTE]

I'm going to get one of the aged 50's compensated tail pieces. I'm going to have him cut a pickguard to fit the humbucker and the P90. Thanks for the recommendation!

Big Al

"Goof Rings" will not cover the P90 to Humbucker route. As has been said you will need to plug the cavity and re rout for a p90. You will also need to do finish work to hide the old cavity. A competent repair tech can do all this and fix the ugly headstock repair.

Now, if you aren't worried about future value, there are several aftermarket hum bucker sized P90 pickup replacements that will drop into the bridge hum bucker slot and give you the performance of the original twin P90 sound. I like the Gibson P94's.

Your call, but I would suggest that you have a firm idea of what you exactly expect and plan accordingly. As it will not ever be a collectable guitar as is, I would have it stripped, have the bridge cavity plugged and rerouted, have the top re-carved to vintage style deep dish, I would check the headstock repair and if necessary have that addressed. I then would have an all vintage gold refinish to cover all the work and source appropriate hardware for the bridge and machine heads if it isn't set up for Klusons I would plug the holes and redrill for them.
I like 54-55 all gold wrap tails and this would suit me just fine.

The thing is have a plan. A half assed fix will not satisfy, at least from my perspective, but this isn't my call. Really have a plan and execute it in the right way and you will not be disappointed.

Thirteenluck

"Goof Rings" will not cover the P90 to Humbucker route. As has been said you will need to plug the cavity and re rout for a p90. You will also need to do finish work to hide the old cavity. A competent repair tech can do all this and fix the ugly headstock repair.

Now, if you aren't worried about future value, there are several aftermarket hum bucker sized P90 pickup replacements that will drop into the bridge hum bucker slot and give you the performance of the original twin P90 sound. I like the Gibson P94's.

Your call, but I would suggest that you have a firm idea of what you exactly expect and plan accordingly. As it will not ever be a collectable guitar as is, I would have it stripped, have the bridge cavity plugged and rerouted, have the top re-carved to vintage style deep dish, I would check the headstock repair and if necessary have that addressed. I then would have an all vintage gold refinish to cover all the work and source appropriate hardware for the bridge and machine heads if it isn't set up for Klusons I would plug the holes and redrill for them.
I like 54-55 all gold wrap tails and this would suit me just fine.

The thing is have a plan. A half assed fix will not satisfy, at least from my perspective, but this isn't my call. Really have a plan and execute it in the right way and you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice Big Al. I know this guitar while fairly rare is not going to net me any money if I decide to sell it, but eventually I'd like it to look as close to a 1954 as possible. So your suggestions are closer to what I'll do. I've got a guy with in that is a talented luthier and I'm going to get with him on it. The headstock is solid, I thought having a stinger on it would be cool.

Anyway, I'll end up going the direction of klutsons and plp90, and bridge fix. Kinda a middle of the road. I like the finish and I'll skip the stripping and re-carve.

I'll post the follow up photos

Kris Ford

These would look nice...:teeth
xjwulovfzasr6c7zv2ya.jpg

Kris Ford

(No affilaiation with seller of course..)
I just got a set for my '76, a buddy just put a set on his '71/'72..they really look the part..