• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Figured maple on 2001/2002 USA and Historic Models

uncajoey

Hey guys, many people have commented on the quality and flame on 01/02 models, I have an R9 with a great top, and a Classic Premium Plus that is just sick. Does anyone know WHY there was such great wood used back then? Surely, the world supply of figured wood can't vary that much from year to year. Anyone have a clue?

Big Al

I have some Millennium Les Pauls and they are pretty. If you search you will find an abundance of spectacular tops from ALL years. I cannot say that any one year had the best overall tops and I do not believe that to be true.

What I do see is often people with these older models will claim they are from "Goodwood Years" something that if you investigate does not hold water. Now figured wood is all a mystery and a wonderful bonus that Mother Nature has blessed us with. In reality, IMO, all figured wood is spectacular and beautiful in it's own way. There is no way of predicting the type of figure or it's intensity until the log is cut.

There is no other way of sourcing figured wood other than chopping down a Maple Tree and cutting boards. The only option for Gibson is to use what is available at present time. Some logs may be more intense and wild, but they can only use what is available.

I think that ALL figured Maple is a gift and I just love all the variety.

Welcome to the forum, Brother.

Last edited:

uncajoey

Thank you! I don't believe the good wood malarkey either, I think that sellers imply that good wood equals better tone, but I could be wrong. The concept of superior tone in a particular piece of wood might be hooey, too. Listen to a performance of Eric Clapton sitting in with a band using someone else's gear. Sounds just like Eric Clapton. He twiddles a few knobs, grabs a pick, starts playing, sounds like Eric. Did I get off topic?

Anyway, I have noticed lovely tops from a variety of years, but I can't help but notice a lot of highly figured wood from that era. Interesting. Maybe I'm falling victim to the power of suggestion.

zoommutt

Maybe, they really wanted to get ready for the 50th anniversary(2002) and in 2001 got a lot of great maple for tops.

B Ingram

Washington western quilted maple is apparent on a standing tree .

Kinda sorta, according to photos of the process on pages 8 & 11 of the linked magazine. The bark on a maple has to be cut away to check a maple for evidence of figuring.

But the wood that is revealed may not be the surface seen in a finished top. The exact figure is not known until to log is split/cut, and the angle of the cut relative to the growth rings and prevailing figure will alter the final figuring pattern seen on the top. The issue is well explained and shown in a video from Taylor

AA00475Bassman

Kinda sorta, according to photos of the process on pages 8 & 11 of the linked magazine. The bark on a maple has to be cut away to check a maple for evidence of figuring.

But the wood that is revealed may not be the surface seen in a finished top. The exact figure is not known until to log is split/cut, and the angle of the cut relative to the growth rings and prevailing figure will alter the final figuring pattern seen on the top. The issue is well explained and shown in a video from Taylor

Not kinda sorta ! Someone who knows what they are looking for and knows what tree to harvest does not need to saw . Are you aware of this maple that grows only in Washington state . Taylor was not speaking of this maple this tree is illegal to harvest .

Big Al

Western Big Leaf Maple, a soft maple is found and havested in NW coastal environments. It is not possible to determine the figure intensity from external examination alone. This wood is what is used for slab sawn quilted figure or quarter sawn tiger stripe figure, (bbq top).

Eastern Rock Maple and some Red Maple make up the vast majority of the R9 tops in the last decade.

AA00475Bassman

Disagree Al the people who harvest this wood for a profession ,legal or poaching have very good idea of what the yield will be !

B Ingram

Helpful video! It seems burl is most obvious from the outside, based on what he shows...

Last edited:

Big Al

Burl is apparent as are pore appearance in bark of Rock Maple for Birdseye. Walnut stumps are often burled as is Mrytlewood. I am not aware of any bark on living tree method of pre determining flamed maple as used by Gibson.