• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"ACE'd" my 76 Deluxe, NO regrets!

Kris Ford

VOID

Honestly, this sounds like those mythic 70's stories, and I'm having a hard time believing it. There was no shortage of Standards and no one was ordering new Pro Deluxes and routing them as new guitars before selling them.

Finding used routed Pro Deluxe Les Pauls is hard. I installed the DiMarzio Deluxe soap bar humbucker or the Bill Larwence rail p90 size humbuckers. Both excellent choices, IMO.

I still have a pair of each.

Al, do you know if the old DLX is the same as the DP209?

I notice that they still make soapbar size HBs as a DP162 and DP154, what seems to be equivalent to a SD set, but with filister head poles..

I might have to try one someday..

Next question is, how did they compare to their regular size brethren? Seem to have same DCR, and mags.
Were they full size bobbins, just mounted on a more compact plate?
Also seems that it was possible to have the SD/PAF combo in the soapbar size, a very wise move..

Mine was routed (I'm going to start using the word CONVERSION :spabout) in the 70's NO doubt as it is a VERY early '76 (by SN# alone, all other features are '75, with week 46 of 75 pots), it was still well before the re-release of the OFFICIAL Standard, so there still weren't many full size NON LPC HB LPs and while I would probably never need to do that to a new LP, I can surely see why so many were done.

marshall1987

Was it harder to order Standards then? We all have made choices in the past that may be, in hindsight, regretful. Here in the USA the Pro Deluxe was pretty popular, but Standards were easy to get and very popular.

Agree....I bought my first Les Paul from Arnold & Morgan, Dallas, Tx. in 1980. It was a 1980 tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard. They had the LP Pro Deluxes also hanging on the wall, but when compared to the humbucking-equipped LP Std., it was no contest. Those big fat chrome-plated humbucking pickups sold that guitar (LP STD), when compared to the Deluxe models. And everyone wanted sunburst Les Pauls back then. I disliked the color black on a Les Paul after playing a friends 1972 Les Paul Custom with the skinny frets years earlier.

guitplayer

I was a very active player then The most comon amp I saw was MusicMan. Peavey Bass amps too. I went solid state in the '80's with the Yamaha G100 ii 112 fet channel switching combo. I later added a hybrid Legend series ii Rock n Roll 50 112 combo for a killer stereo rig I still use.

I don't believe that DiMarzio pickups fit the 70's amps any better than other brands. They all serve a purpose and had specifc voices. Sometimes they offer just what you need, sometimes not.

Funny you mention the Musicman amps. I was just recently informed of
some spectacular mods to these workhorse amps.
When my Marshall failed on me , I played thru one of the MM heads(RD?)on loan.
Super amps. I think the draw to Dimarzios back then is that it made up
for what might be lacking in a certain amp for a certain sound. If someone played a
little "tamer" style of music, dimarzios may not be for them. I wanted a
bigger sound than what at the time was available from a Mini-hum.
No regerts:laugh2:

Big Al

Al, do you know if the old DLX is the same as the DP209?

I notice that they still make soapbar size HBs as a DP162 and DP154, what seems to be equivalent to a SD set, but with filister head poles..

I might have to try one someday..

Next question is, how did they compare to their regular size brethren? Seem to have same DCR, and mags.
Were they full size bobbins, just mounted on a more compact plate?
Also seems that it was possible to have the SD/PAF combo in the soapbar size, a very wise move..

Mine was routed (I'm going to start using the word CONVERSION :spabout) in the 70's NO doubt as it is a VERY early '76 (by SN# alone, all other features are '75, with week 46 of 75 pots), it was still well before the re-release of the OFFICIAL Standard, so there still weren't many full size NON LPC HB LPs and while I would probably never need to do that to a new LP, I can surely see why so many were done.

Kris, I think that the newer version is a new wind. They have a good rep, though I haven't tried them to compare. I really like the soap bar hum bucking DLX DiMarzio pickups and NOT routing a Deluxe is a big plus IMO. The Bill Lawrence twin blade soap bar is a full size hum bucker in a P90/mini hum size.

I believe that may be true for the DiMarzio too. Full size bobbins in a smaller housing. They look cool and preserve the original guitar. Lot's of folks are regretting routing them and today, IMO, the Mini Humbucker makes a lot of sense, given the typical amplification and musical ground to be covered.

garywright

Funny you mention the Musicman amps. I was just recently informed of
some spectacular mods to these workhorse amps.
When my Marshall failed on me , I played thru one of the MM heads(RD?)on loan.
Super amps.

gp ...as an owner of an early MM HD130 combo I'm very interested in the mods you mentioned ...can you please post a link or email me ...:salude

Kris Ford

Damn.
Loving this set more and more!!
Ace'ing can be contagious..look what just came in the mail..
sogbnn4bkwbey4zls8h4.jpg

I put the SD in the bridge of my Explorer, and that is 1979 heavy metal heaven!!! I will probably drop in the PAF once I get it back from Brandonwound, who is putting a longer lead on it.

He is also resurrecting a 1975 double black SD for me that was ALL jacked up..but the crucial ingredients are there, so a rewind with new lead, for less than a USED newer one..Don't really see too many double black 70's Super Ds, as the cream was way more popluar..so this one will proably go in my all black '92 SG Junior...along with a 1966 SG Jr wiring harness..

The victim...Jared's gonna make it right though!

So I have realised that THIS is the tone in my head, I have never been happy with distortion pedals with my JMP2203, a Super D and a boost gives me the EXACT crunch I have been searching for that sizzles when you really dig in, and hits you like a chainsaw in the chest..

To think of ALL the money I wasted when the answer was right there...

I may have to pick up (no pun intended..really..) a new set of SD/PAF to see if there is a difference between the old and new..just to see if it is myth or fact..thinking the former..:jim

Big Al

I dont know and it wasnt my choice either...

The Pro-deluxe was sure one of the most successful LP models in that time, they came in Black and Gold and had Ebony boards. From what i can recall people werent that happy with the pickups and wanted the 'Ace look' and sound.

Larry Dimarzio were ahead in the market with his pickups and groups like KISS supported that.

Standards i remember only in Sunburst finish and mostly the 'Tobacco' one.

Standards from that time could be ordered by the dealer in Wine Red, Ebony, Goldtop, Natural, Tobacco and Cherry Sunbust.

Pro Deluxe was also available in Tobacco Sunburst.

Kris Ford

This Explorer was reborn with the Super D installed, WOW, what a rocker!!!
20160831_120113.jpg

'78 PAF is having a new lead put on it by Brandonwound, so when that gets back, it will be go in!

Last edited:

lous1952

So while I LOVED the T Tops in my (routed) '76 Deluxe, I had this burning drive to "restore" it to it's 70's condition..love it or hate it, the NUMBER ONE pickup combo for routed Deluxes of that time is the Super Distortion/PAF combo.

When I got it, it had 2 Super Distortions in it..and while it sounded KILLER, the pickups were in rough shape..very yellowed and beat up, not in a cool MOJO sort of way, (but must have been at one time, somebody played the snot out of it!!) They looked more like meth head's teeth..

So a square tab 1 conductor super early Super D found it's way to me, a NOS version with no Made in USA and black poles..which apparently can sell for big bucks these days, but vigilant eBaying found me one for DIRT CHEAP...less than a NEW one...
superD.png

sd3.png

It is DAMN clean, and seller says never installed.
I did my lil forensic inspection with a 30x/60x LED loupe, and you could tell it had never been used, so that was cool!

Wouldn't have bothered me if it had been, as the early PAF I found had some love on it, but the color match is SPOT ON, I really lucked out there!
It looks cleaner in person.. A LYSOL wipe cleaned it right up!
rjw1rit5lz4xiqk0zjge.jpg

am8xbc2yhlkhbeipg7n2.jpg

So these are era correct, actually the holy grail of DiMarzios, KISS, from Southern Rock, to early heavy metal, NWOBHM, it WAS the sound of an ERA. The era of music that left the biggest impression on this guy..

They match the rings and switch washer well too!
014_1.jpg

So got it wrapped up, set the pickup height, and was BLOWN AWAY how much more aggressive and nasty my Deluxe sounds..raw, mean and ready to ROCK..and the neck tone is sick on leads..I can see why so many were done this way..
I LOVE my T Tops, but this set makes them seem tame and polite in comparison..
The cream looks great with the Wine Red IMO, and VERY 70's cool..
015.jpg

So many classic tones just poured out of my 2203, especially when hitting it with the TS-808 and/or an LPB-1..they hit the front end of a Marshall JUST RIGHT, and seems tailor made for that circuit.

Really diggin' it!!!

That Deluxe looks great Kris.
So does the Explorer.
Now you're making me regret selling off the DiMarzios that I had sitting around.

Many years ago a friend of mine routed out his Deluxe with a screwdriver, using it as a chisel.
He actually got it right too.

Kris Ford

That Deluxe looks great Kris.
So does the Explorer.
Now you're making me regret selling off the DiMarzios that I had sitting around.

Many years ago a friend of mine routed out his Deluxe with a screwdriver, using it as a chisel.
He actually got it right too.

Thanks Lou!!

Yeah, gotta wonder how many were done that way!

Kris Ford

Oh damn, another set on the way..

gubflmch5tokrjqhnbyt.jpg

Now what shall I put these in?:hmm:yah

Kris Ford

I thought I was going to see smoke coming out...:dang Just kidding! Well, kind of.

I put a SD in my 2012 jr reissue (it had the 490's in it). The 490 in the bridge sounded like geese at a lake no matter how much you tried to adjust it. A little honk is good. That much was awful. The SD sounds massive in the slab. And, you always have the neck pickup to go back to for cleaner tones. :dude:

The Super Distortions look good in your guitars!

Thanks Kristine!

Seems they were tailor made for the 2203 circuit..I have mine set to were they really slam the front end when you dig in, I usually goose it with a TS-808RI and a LPB-1.
And my preamp is always maxed.:spabout

With 500K pots, it really gives a good range, and sounds good with volume backed down.

Here is my quandary though..

I hate to gut my '76, but I KNOW I will have better results with 500K volume pots.
A/bing the Les to the Explorer, the Explorer is more open, the LP feels "choked"..(I built a 500K harness for it, as it had been "de-EMG'd")

So do I;
A) JUST replace volume pots with CTS 500K long shaft pots, keeping ground plate and 300K tones?
or,
B) build a 500K CTS harness (short shaft, no plate, 20 AWG ground wire) where I can custom tailor the values to best fit the pickups..(IE: The the 527K pot for the neck volume, 498 for bridge..etc..)
And just park the original week 42 of '75 for originality sake. Might shave an ounce off, but I'm not worried about the weight of this one..9.29 pounds, not bad at all! I have the "can" for it as well.

I have NOS ceramic caps from oddly enough October of '75, so they'd be pretty era correct..I'm the type that believes it's cap value over composition is where the change is at..but I do have some Russian PIO caps that are 0.022 and 0.015, that I considered using as well. (not because they are PIO, but the fact it has the .015uf value for neck..)

Leaning more towards the full on gut and go with the 500K pots..(I had NO problem doing so with my '76 SG) I have some LUXE yellow PVC tubing, so I can make it look pretty stock even, covering the grounds and leads, plus, I love making them!

I do find that the Super D is better suited to 500K pots...

The other set I got might just look killer in THIS one, my '76 SG Standard.