• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Color code in PU cavity 1992 classic

Thin_Lizzy

I recently go this awesome 1992 Classic Plus, but I'm wondering what the actual color is. The color code in the bridge pickup cavity reads T/PURPLE but it's been struck through. It doesn't look anything near purple in my book so the strikethrough makes sense.

I have another Classic Plus in TransAmber and its more brown(ish).
So any idea what color this is officially and does the striking through happen more at the factory?

Here some pics. Color is kinda hard to capture; the last picture is maybe the most accurate... Or something inbetween 2nd and 3rd.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
T/Purple is probably trans purple [transparent = see through].

It now looks trans amber.
It wouldn't surprise me to see them [TA] a little different from one to the next.

J.D.

"T Purple" (Transparent Purple) was a factory color on this year/model. Top and back, all purple, like Barney :jim

This particular color became, let's say, very affordable on the 2nd hand market. I've seen quite a few refinished in other colors.

This one here, however, looks to have been originally designated for T Purple then someone at Gibson had a change of heart between stamping and spraying LOL.

mattnew33

Makes me think of that picture online "What color is this dress?" Where everyone argued over blue or gold...

Awesome looking classic! looks like a great find on your part. How does it play?

Thin_Lizzy

Thanks guys! What J.D. says makes perfect sense and that;s what I figured more or less.
I was a little puzzled by the word 'purple' since I can't recall seeing an actual purple classic from that period. But I learned now they were available and looked up the color on google. It more like red to me.
Mine had factory finish. no refin so yeah, last minute change I guess.

It's an awesome guitar. Sold my 05 Std Faded and got this one for the same money. It a way better guitar. The faded was nice and beautiful and what not, but had a horrible uncontrolable resonance at higher volumes and I hate the later Gibson fretwire. The eary 90s Gibson are perfect with great neck and frets. That's why I have six of them :peace2 :salude (Standard, Studio w/ebony board, 2x Classic+, U2 and MIII)
Only thing a absolutely hate are the pickups in the Classics. Oh my, these are terrible. Swapped them for duncan zebra's.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Makes me think of that picture online "What color is this dress?" Where everyone argued over blue or gold...

Awesome looking classic! looks like a great find on your part. How does it play?

But this guitar was not finished in trans purple. It was designated to, but that was changed.
Otherwise, the purple color would be obvious. :ganz

uncajoey

I have 91 and 92 Classic Plusses, both in Translucent Amber, completely different colors IMO.

uncajoey

image_17.jpeg
Did you buy them new, and have they been in the same environment? :hmm

Hi Tom,

I did not buy them new, but the difference in color is so profound that it would be difficult to attribute it to sun, smoke, etc. No darker color under PG on the lighter one (91), left, which is much more yellow than the 92, center. Excuse cell pic, which washes out the figuring on both. The 01 on right is so deeply figured even the sun can't wash it out completely.

image_17.jpeg.html

Big Al

Maple, in it's grain and the species have a definite effect on the color with translucent finishes. I see Amber in all of those and some color differences are to be expected. They look very nice to me and think you have a nice herd of amber beauties for sure.

Thin_Lizzy

Here are my 2 Classic+ 's. I think the '92 must be trans amber indeed. But there are differences indeed.
Left is the 1992 from the beginning of this thread. It reads 'Les Paul Model' on the headstock and has a thin binding in the cutaway showing the maple cap.
On the right is the 1994 which has 'Les Paul Classic' on the headstock and a wide binding in the cutaway.
They feel very, very similar and acousticly also sound very equal.

Thin_Lizzy

BTW: IRL there's much more color difference. Very much like uncajoey describes and shows in his pacture.

clearmudd

Here are my 2 Classic+ 's. I think the '92 must be trans amber indeed. But there are differences indeed.
Left is the 1992 from the beginning of this thread. It reads 'Les Paul Model' on the headstock and has a thin binding in the cutaway showing the maple cap.
On the right is the 1994 which has 'Les Paul Classic' on the headstock and a wide binding in the cutaway.
They feel very, very similar and acousticly also sound very equal.

Both have really dark fretboards, very very nice . :salude

Thin_Lizzy

Thanks clearmudd! Yes nice dark boards on those :salude
And the fretwork is so great on those early 90s Gibsons!