• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1976 Les Paul Standard - Fake or the Real Deal ?

GBH

Hi,
This is my firt post. I own a Studio and an SG Jr and allways dreamt of a Les Paul.
I came across a 1976 Les Paul Standard in a strange but nice color Latte Crema - Tiger Stripe (according to the owner) and I'm interested in buying the LP, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it... Fake or the Real Deal?
The 8 digit serial should indicated a 1976 LP, but ...
Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Gijs

Here are some pictures:

Gibson%20les%20paul%20standard.png

Headstock%20front.JPG

headstock%20back.JPG

pots.JPG

hardcase%201.JPG

hardcase%202.JPG

Bob Womack

On my Laptop the first post came up and all I could see when it was first loaded was the headstock in the first shot. Mmmm... Not wide enough. The rest supported the initial reaction.

Bob

GBH

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
In the Guitar Dater Project the serial number came up with both 1976 and 2004.
All though I like the LP, Bob Womack's comment about the headstock worries me next to the fact that it's not a '76

You've saved me buying the "wrong" guitar (for me).

Best regards,

Gijs

Monroe

It's not a 76.
76 would have a decal for the serial number, not an ink stamp.
It's the double zero that's clouding the issue, but that's definitely not a 76.
As for whether it's the "wrong guitar".... that depends on several factors.

Zentar

The cutaway is curved wider than my 2014. That's all I see that is not real looking but camera lens can cause that.
BTW how much is he asking?

Big Al

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
In the Guitar Dater Project the serial number came up with both 1976 and 2004.
All though I like the LP, Bob Womack's comment about the headstock worries me next to the fact that it's not a '76

You've saved me buying the "wrong" guitar (for me).

Best regards,

Gijs

Bob's comment was about differentiating from a 1976 when Gibson used a wider headstock. Seeing a narrow vintage style headstock and open B and open O logo screams not a 76 and is nothing to worry about.

Was it being sold as a 76? Since it is very easy to tell the difference and in no way resembles a 76, what is it that makes a 76 so desired by you, since it is obvious you cannot tell these very differently built and spec'd guitars apart.

I'm curious as to what it is that you want. You stated it was wrong but you were interested enough to post. Were you born in 76?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi,
This is my firt post. I own a Studio and an SG Jr and allways dreamt of a Les Paul.
I came across a 1976 Les Paul Standard in a strange but nice color Latte Crema - Tiger Stripe (according to the owner) and I'm interested in buying the LP, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it... Fake or the Real Deal?
The 8 digit serial should indicated a 1976 LP, but ...
Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Gijs

Hi Gijs :eek:la
[Have you ever played harmonica in Maastricht, at Duke? :hmm]

Have you played this guitar?
If you have played it and you like it, what else matters except a fair deal. :2zone

GBH

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies and I’ll try to answer your questions.

The LP was advertised as a Standard. In the specs the owner mentionned that it was eiter a 2004 or 1976. The price announced price was 1,850 $.
I couldn’t find any examples with that specific colour for a 1976, so I did what I normally do when I’m not 100% sure about something… I ask people who are more knowledgeable in that matter.
Why is it the wrong guitar for me: well, I didn’t want to buy a 2004 model. But on the other hand I wasn’t looking for a 1976 specifically neither (and never stated that in this post).
As it is a 4 hour drive (back and forth), I wanted to be sure about what was on offer before undertaking the drive. Which is not going to happen now

I simply like “older” guitars that have a little extra … and not necessarely expensive ones.
Just as an example:
I own a 1962 Ibanez model 994 which has the dot markers on the wrong place. I had technically it restored and even ordered a hand wound pu from the south of France. Costed me much more than what the guitar’s worth. But now, it sounds great … especially through a Wampler Tweed ‘57 pedal.
I own a 1976 Gretsch BTS “The Beast” 1000. I love that guitar for it’s typical seventies sustain. I own a 1968 Hagström Viking: simply because I love the neck
I want to buy a Peavey T-60, because I love those switch blade pu where you control the coil splitting via the volume knobs. But for me it has to be in white.

And of course I want to own a Gibson Les Paul … an “older” one ... one day…

Cheers,

Gijs

PS: nope, I don’t play the harmonica.. but I wish I could ;)

Big Al

You might be able to source a nice late 70's - 80's Standard depending upon the features you would like best. Some of these are affordable and pretty good instruments in their own right. There are vastly different spec from this era so homework is required.