• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'59 Tribute pickup height?

srenkin

I could use some advice, I have a 2014 Traditional with '59 Tribute humbuckers. I purchased the guitar used, and the action was set very high. I lowered the bridge and tailpiece, adjusted the truss rod, oiled the fretboard and got everything where it should be - but the pickups were too high after that. I've lowered them to where they sound more or less "right" and balanced the output relative to each other, but they are much lower than Gibson's typical recommended height for humbuckers.

Anyone with similar experience with advice to share?

Sam

Big Al

I think you did it right. No worries there, your ear will trump "recommended" specs every time.:jim

scovell001

When I first got my 2014 Les Paul Traditional brand new, the action too was set extremely high & the pickups where very high also (see the attached photo's below). I ended up with the neck flush with the pickup ring & the bridge about where it was set when I got it. I'm wondering a little off topic, however, my tailpiece is still higher than I'd like & I think a change of bridge (to abr 1) will help with that.

For me, although the neck pickup was nice, in a smooth jazz kind of way, it was just to boomy (for want of a better word) despite mine being a bright guitar. The bridge on the other hand was always too shrill & the pots rolled off tone too quickly. I ended up replacing the wiring harness (50's bees & CTS 550K) & the pickups. I couldn't ever get any of the pickup pole screws too move !

This was my neck pickup height from new ( you can just see the bridge on the far right)

IMG_20150622_110512872.jpg