• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SGs in colors other than red

latestarter

Just realised the date range requires....well, the pickguard, pickups (not covers), and Maestro are from the early 60's...does that count?

3ifkXRa.jpg

Last edited:

tooold

Since I haven't got a white guitar so far white is on top of my list. I'd need to find someone who can age and amber the lacquer properly to a vintage off white....not so easy to get this right.

Be careful with the "aged tone"/yellow lacquer. It ain't the same as the real thing. I did my '62 Junior about the same time as Gary's posted above and the painter did a number of comparisons between the fake yellow lacquer and the real thing, as I really wanted to get the PB green thing. After the tests, I went for normal clear coat applied as thin as possible, and I'll just have to wait for it to yellow.

It might be less fiddly with white, as you're not dealing with the color change in the Pelham Blue. But go slow!

OldStrummer

I don't have an SG in my collection. Wasn't real interested until I spotted this one (I'm a sucker for the "natural wood" look):

SG Naked

SGN16N5CH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

fakejake

Here's my '65, the one I started this thread for. By now, the brown colour has actually grown on me. I just buffed some of the stickier finish on the back of the neck off and now it feels great. And what a fantastic sounding and playing instrument! Definitely my favourite at the moment, I play it every day. For now, I decided to keep it likte that. It's ugly but a real tone monster!

dOX-Hoy4g8Z-Vcy6NNMaPfVJEP3kXxXT63sNWW8go-4

Z9PXr1Q6EbYN5NFeFuD7FxzTu5SlfE6FzhN9zk0oFSk

67SG

None more black, or " Oh, you're lefty, we have it in every color as long as its black - lol" Happy Holidays to all!!!!

ScumbackSpeakers

I've got the PT 50th Anniversary SG in white. Great guitar although I swapped out the Gibson P90's for Jim Wagner Pickups G90's (which are modeled after my 59 Junior P90. 8k for the neck, 10.25k for the bridge) which were a big improvement over the stock P90's it came with.

SG50PAWCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

tooold

Here's my '65, one of the Juniors that came with a Special (bound) fingerboard. She's been through the wars, but what a guitar...

left-angle-close-adj3.jpg

And in keeping with garywright's PB refin, this is a '62 that's now a couple of years into the nitro - lots of checking now that isn't in the photo. No yellowing yet, sadly... :)

_DSC2613_zps8eef4106.jpg

troyvod

/RIGHT]

The one on the right was part of a limited edition custom colour set only released in Japan in the mid 2000's . My beat 68 next to it to stick with the forum rules​

dtw576

Can't post pictures at work (damned firewall) but white SG's always get my attention. My avatar is proof.:salude