• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Should I trade?

David St. Hubbins

I have a 1965 original Fender Deluxe Reverb in overall good shape, I replaced the speaker but still have the original. I havn't played it out in years and probably wont due to the age. I do take out my Blues Jr or my Orange Duel Terror all the time. Its kinda cool to have along with my 65 Strat of course... I have run across a Gibson Les Paul Classic Goldtop 2016 Proprietary Limited Run thats brand new and am thinking about trading out. Lord knows I've done some stupid trades in the past and want some opinions before perhaps doing this.. I'm thinking that that amp is just gonna sit in the closet and the guitar I can take out and play.. I have some other guitars, 65 Strat, 74 Les Paul Dlx Gold Top, 86 PRS Pre Standard, Brian Moore I Guitar with piezos and 24 pin, 60th Anniversary Commemorative Strat, MIM Tele Deluxe and a MIJ Tele Thinline Super Deluxe.... I dont have a full size humbucker LP that would round this all out, lol

http://www.rjvguitars.com/product/1...-classic-goldtop-2016-proprietary-limited-run

This is what it looks like.. Not the one Im considering

Whats you opinion? Thanks

redisburning

Les Paul Froum Member
no ****ing way would I do that trade.

I am not even that big a fan of the DR but if I were trading out I'd want something that was a known quantity. I might do that trade for a very good R7. MIGHT.

look, good modern Les Pauls are a dime a dozen. a good blackface amp isn't something you run into every day. unless you think your DR isn't the best example, why give that up for a new guitar?

if you aren't using the DR, I do think now is a good time to sell but you can move from a DR to something like a Carr Rambler or a Bruno Cowtipper, bank some cash & have a new, reliable amp that gives you a lot of the same sound. or you could sell and pick up a good humbucker les paul, but dang man you have a lot of good guitars but IMO you have one killer amp.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I've got a '64 DR and it's not going anywhere.

Allenjason

Les Paul Froum Member
I have a 1965 original Fender Deluxe Reverb in overall good shape, I replaced the speaker but still have the original. I havn't played it out in years and probably wont due to the age. I do take out my Blues Jr or my Orange Duel Terror all the time. Its kinda cool to have along with my 65 Strat of course... I have run across a Gibson Les Paul Classic Goldtop 2016 Proprietary Limited Run thats brand new and am thinking about trading out. Lord knows I've done some stupid trades in the past and want some opinions before perhaps doing this.. I'm thinking that that amp is just gonna sit in the closet and the guitar I can take out and play.. I have some other guitars, 65 Strat, 74 Les Paul Dlx Gold Top, 86 PRS Pre Standard, Brian Moore I Guitar with piezos and 24 pin, 60th Anniversary Commemorative Strat, MIM Tele Deluxe and a MIJ Tele Thinline Super Deluxe.... I dont have a full size humbucker LP that would round this all out, lol

http://www.rjvguitars.com/product/1...-classic-goldtop-2016-proprietary-limited-run

This is what it looks like.. Not the one Im considering

Whats you opinion? Thanks

i have a late 60s Deluxe Reverb and no way in hell would I trade it for a new guitar unless I knew I would be making a big profit by flipping it.

new LP are a dime a dozen. I'm not into new guitars anyway but you can find a million LP that look and sound just like that GT.

clearmudd

ummm nope, wouldn't do it. Vintage for vintage maybe, like a 50's junior or early 60's SG, a original '59 burst, but not for anything new cuz when you walk out the door that new guitar is now worth half what you traded for. $999 for a '65 deluxe reverb sound good to you?

Triplet

Why not play out the DR? Not a rare amp, pricey, maybe. Anything you pop can be readilly replaced and only suffer a marginal loss to the overall value. You would probably enjoy your own performance more. Have the Jr on standby...

clearmudd

Why not play out the DR? Not a rare amp, pricey, maybe. Anything you pop can be readilly replaced and only suffer a marginal loss to the overall value. You would probably enjoy your own performance more. Have the Jr on standby...

+1:salude

sonar

No.

It's a rare exception to trade vintage for recent.

While not super rare I noticed Deluxe Reverb prices going up when I was about to pull the trigger a couple months back.

When in doubt, sit it out.

joptunes

If you're not going to use the DLX, sell it and use the money for whichever LP floats your boat.
That way you should get fair market value for the amp.

A guitar that you will actually use and play is better than any amp sitting around collecting dust. My 2 cents....

treatmanc

Nope Don't do it!!!! That Deluxe Reverb is a collectors amp that will appreciate in value, the guitar will not. You'd be a sucker in that deal because whoever gets that amp probably will spend 2-300 to retune it, and seek it for retarded money. Even if its beat up, it still commands the market.

Mark Stone

I would NEVER make that trade. Have you seen what a BFDR goes for today? I've seen rough examples go for $5000. But then again, I'm not in your shoes. I tend to have a hard time parting with old gear. Like someone here mentioned, good Les Pauls are around every corner. Low wattage blackface amps, no so much.

Edit: wow, I just realized that this was a super old thread. Sorry!

King64kong

If you make that trade you'll be banished for life from this forum!!

Wait..I'm just an idiot...who is totally joking

But seriously...DON'T make that trade...like seriously