• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Post Lean in a Jr.

Kevin L.

Greetings!

Can someone give me some guidance on best ways/correct ways to fix post lean in a'56 Jr?

Thanks in advance.

hogy

Fwiw, I have repaired leaning posts on a number of '55 and '56 Juniors where the stud holes were factory drilled for full length (1") stud anchors, but short anchors were installed. No idea why Gibson would do this, but they did.

J.D.

+1

Assuming the wood hasn't split on the treble side between the stud hole and pickup route, this is quite an easy job.

Carefully pull out the short bushings, measure, then carefully press in the new ones.

JIMI55LP

When you remove the 1/2" bushings, inspect the bridge side of the mortises and the rear side to see the wood has been smashed forward and backward by the bushings as they tilted forward making the top edge crush the mortises and the bottom back edge dented the back side. You'll need to steam the walls of the mortises back to straight up and down like the treble and bass sides are. You can steam the walls with a wet rag and a soldering iron to swell the walls back, and if they feel soft when dried you can soak the steamed areas with CA glue (super glue). This will stiffen the walls and the 1" bushings will be grabbing the lower walls that didn't have tilted bushing against them. The 1" bushings will not tilt like the 1/2" did. Be sure to protect the top surface of the body and mortise so as not to splinter the top when extracting the bushings. There are many threads here showing home made methods and luthier supply tools to remove the bushings. Be sure your ground wire is intact before installing the longer bushings. I used Pigtail bushing on both of my 1955 Specials and they were perfect matches, or you could pay thru the teeth for vintage bushings.

TM1

Fwiw, I have repaired leaning posts on a number of '55 and '56 Juniors where the stud holes were factory drilled for full length (1") stud anchors, but short anchors were installed. No idea why Gibson would do this, but they did.
They did it to use up the parts they had bought. In any manufacturing situation, you use up the parts you have before going to the new ones. If you don't then you have money just sitting on the shelf going to waste.