• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage flamey necks ... who has them?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Here's mine, from my 1966 P-Bass.

DSCN4602.JPG

DSCN4585.JPG

DSCN4586.JPG

DSCN4587.JPG

DSCN4588.JPG

DSCN4594.JPG

A tip of the hat to the first person who spots the big anomaly with this instrument. :ganz

And, please start a new thread if you want to post photos of modern [post CBS] necks. :)

garywright

that's a hootenanny ..my '63 strat neck has mild flame ..but nothing like your Precision

sikoniko

I'm going to go with a 5 digit serial number... which yours usually falls into '62.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I'm going to go with a 5 digit serial number... which yours usually falls into '62.

Winner! :salude

I got this one some 35 years ago. I swear I was the first person to remove the neck. A 1962 neck plate on a 1966 Precision. That's the biggest difference in date and neck plate I have ever seen.

sikoniko

Winner! :salude

I got this one some 35 years ago. I swear I was the first person to remove the neck. A 1962 neck plate on a 1966 Precision. That's the biggest difference in date and neck plate I have ever seen.

That's really cool Tom. You really had me stumped there. It was a lot of fun. I was originally focused on the headstock decal.

The 'rules' can be hard to follow as Leo never made a collectors item. He made musical instruments in a practical way and they used up supplies until they were depleted.

stevechilders

I was told recently that extremely flamed maple necks were rare for Fender in the Pre-CBS era... I don't know if that is true or not.

There is a blond 57 in a shop in York, Pa that has an outrageous example of flamed maple.

Rev.WillieVK

About 4 months ago, Gruhn's had an early '50s Telecaster-type guitar that had a '54 Strat neck on it - the flamiest neck I've ever seen on a '50s Fender! :dude:

A LPF member from Florida bought it, maybe he will post photos.

DoubleBoogie

Not vintage...but this is a really cool combination of Birdseye and flame on the neck of this custom shop Strat that is in route to me now. Should get it Friday.:dude: