The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Looking to get to the next level

Hey guys, new to the forum! I'm primarily a drummer but have been picking up guitar the last couple years. Got a dsl40c with a creamback, and clipped the c19 capacitor, and the thing sounds incredible. Also just picked up an epiphone 1960s tribute plus with gibson 57 classic pups. I'm super thrilled with the tone I've got, so I think I'm great in that department, but I'm struggling to see where to go now in terms of my playing. I can solo fairly okay, sticking primarily in the minor pentatonic, but I usually like to experiment within the scale rather than stick to certain "licks" as I hate the sound of my playing becoming stale. However my speed is poor (of course speed is not the answer!), but I am looking for things to practice to try to lift my playing to another level, whether it be speed or technique exercises. I really dig that stereotypical rock and roll gibson+marshall tone and style, love the smoothness of those like Slash, ac/dc, Page, but also the versatility of someone like Jeff Beck. At the same time, I ogle over eric johnsons ripping pentatonic virtuosity.

So I'd consider myself an intermediate player, where can I go from where I am at now? I never took formal lessons and can't really afford to do so, but I want to challenge myself and branch out as much as I can.

Mark

Re: Looking to get to the next level

Quote Originally Posted by Markypizz View Post
    Hey guys, new to the forum! I'm primarily a drummer but have been picking up guitar the last couple years. Got a dsl40c with a creamback, and clipped the c19 capacitor, and the thing sounds incredible. Also just picked up an epiphone 1960s tribute plus with gibson 57 classic pups. I'm super thrilled with the tone I've got, so I think I'm great in that department, but I'm struggling to see where to go now in terms of my playing. I can solo fairly okay, sticking primarily in the minor pentatonic, but I usually like to experiment within the scale rather than stick to certain "licks" as I hate the sound of my playing becoming stale. However my speed is poor (of course speed is not the answer!), but I am looking for things to practice to try to lift my playing to another level, whether it be speed or technique exercises. I really dig that stereotypical rock and roll gibson+marshall tone and style, love the smoothness of those like Slash, ac/dc, Page, but also the versatility of someone like Jeff Beck. At the same time, I ogle over eric johnsons ripping pentatonic virtuosity.

So I'd consider myself an intermediate player, where can I go from where I am at now? I never took formal lessons and can't really afford to do so, but I want to challenge myself and branch out as much as I can.

Mark
    I've been teaching for 30+ years, and I'm sorry to say that what you need is a good teacher, that you can question, and one who knows his stuff. You really can't learn online, for free. You get what you pay for. I have a TON of students like you who can't get past what the free online players-posing-as-teachers could show them in a 5 minute video. It's just the truth--you get what you pay for, and if you want real schooling, you have to find a teacher and pay him for his knowledge.

Karldoog is correct. I couldn't have put it better. Same experience here with the students that come to me.

I would only only add the thought that you keep your instructor options open. You might be blessed and find the perfect teacher for you on the first shot but it never hurts to explore a few. I provide all of my prospective students with a free first visit where I explain in depth what and how I am going to teach them and encourage questions. Ask any perspective teacher what and how they teach. If they can't answer those 2 questions......

Good Luck!
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    1960 LP Melody Maker (Single Cut)
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo

http://www.gundryguitar.com

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

I really need a good teacher....one that can shift between jazz and traditional rock/blues. One that knows the major/minor transitional scales. Where I live that's like stumbling over a Unicorn making love to an Elf under a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end.
    Otherwise known as Grant.