• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Where are they now...

psigh4

Strings Jr. -

I was wondering if you participated in the build of a:

1983 Gibson Spotlight Special with the serial number 83 056

or

1983 Gibson Les Paul Standard with the serial number 83353572

Both guitars are marked with the "Custom Shop Edition" decals. I understand that there was no formal Custom Shop during this time frame and that all the Spotlights had these decals. Could you help me understand why the Standard I have has this decal while other guitars did not have these decals? Was there some kind of special criteria for the guitars with the decals.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have truly enjoyed your insight.

Gary

punkerg1

Sorry, couldn't find that number in my records.
But I can tell you that the other 033X numbers I have were built
in mid January 1983.
thanks for checking, i guess mine would be #36 out of Nashville? learn something new everyday;)

Strings Jr.

Strings Jr. -

I was wondering if you participated in the build of a:

1983 Gibson Spotlight Special with the serial number 83 056

or

1983 Gibson Les Paul Standard with the serial number 83353572

Both guitars are marked with the "Custom Shop Edition" decals. I understand that there was no formal Custom Shop during this time frame and that all the Spotlights had these decals. Could you help me understand why the Standard I have has this decal while other guitars did not have these decals? Was there some kind of special criteria for the guitars with the decals.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have truly enjoyed your insight.

Gary

Sorry, didn’t see either of those in my records.
You are correct, there was no Custom Shop at that time. The decals were part of a “marketing” effort to generate sales. They went on special, non-spec, short-runs of instruments that had special features that were easy to run down the normal production line. Not sure why your Standard has the decal. Pictures would help. I couldn’t find any other Standards in my records that were built during that time frame with the decal. I did see some Studios.
Congrats on a couple of great 80’s guitars!

psigh4

Sorry, didn’t see either of those in my records.
You are correct, there was no Custom Shop at that time. The decals were part of a “marketing” effort to generate sales. They went on special, non-spec, short-runs of instruments that had special features that were easy to run down the normal production line. Not sure why your Standard has the decal. Pictures would help. I couldn’t find any other Standards in my records that were built during that time frame with the decal. I did see some Studios.
Congrats on a couple of great 80’s guitars!

Thanks for the response. I'll try to get some pictures of the 83 Standard. I have a couple other early 80s guitars that I may ask you about. The Spotlight and the Standard are the best guitars I have ever owned or played. I know many will disagree with me but they feel better to me than any historic I have ever played. The Shaw pickups sound real good to me. I have never been lucky enough to play or own any 50s guitars so I can not comment about them. The only complaint I would have is they are heavy but I'm not a professional guitar player. So even though I'm getting on in years and have a bad back it's not a problem since I just play them while sitting at home.

Even though you may not have made these guitars I'm sure you know and worked with the people that did. Nashville early 80s guitars don't get the credit they deserve. Thank you and all your co-workers for all the hours of enjoyment you have provided me.

Gary

punkerg1

https://www.flickr.com/gp/124545651@N07/zty39H
Actually, you have #37.
Number 0300 would be number one, 0301 number two, etc.
so this is number 37
zty39H
zty39H

cant seem to show image...

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

How about this pretty blue, non-reverse 12 string?

Where is she now?

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

The note on the back of this pic says this guitar was
going to "Letterman's guitar player", but I can't verify that.
This was '84~'85.

Anyone seen it?

Last edited:

S a m

Mmm mmm mmm. That is a television top alright! I love the eyes, nose and smiley-mouth right below the stop bar!

Don't stop please. What you share in this thread is just the best!

Moderne

Here's a little Moderne history for you Kris. I built two on November 1st, 1982 then, several each day thereafter. As you can see, numbers A 002 thru A 006, built on November 2nd, were prototypes. I have prototype numbers recorded thru A 018, so maybe safe to say the first 20 were prototypes. My numbers for the A 02X guitars were not prototypes. My records show that we were already into the "E" series numbers by the end of December.

Modernes_zpszt2aqxrb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You built prototypes at the same time as production models? I'm curious as to why. I always thought the prototypes came first. Am I incorrect thinking that?

Thanks for sharing this info. I've been wondering quite a bit about that white Moderne with the maple fingerboard as its the only one I've ever seen with that kind of board.

Strings Jr.

You built prototypes at the same time as production models? I'm curious as to why. I always thought the prototypes came first. Am I incorrect thinking that?

Thanks for sharing this info. I've been wondering quite a bit about that white Moderne with the maple fingerboard as its the only one I've ever seen with that kind of board.

Yes, this is the exact order they were built by me in Final Assembly. Once they hit the finishing department, they can get hung-up for days in repair.

The white Moderne was a Special Order. As far as I know it's a one-of-a-kind.

Since you're obviously a Moderne guy, I'll share a couple more "Moderne Facts" from my ledger.
* I built one Moderne that had the standard, 8 digit serial number,
* I built one with a 8 xxxx serial number.

Thanks!

Moderne

Yes, this is the exact order they were built by me in Final Assembly. Once they hit the finishing department, they can get hung-up for days in repair.

The white Moderne was a Special Order. As far as I know it's a one-of-a-kind.

Since you're obviously a Moderne guy, I'll share a couple more "Moderne Facts" from my ledger.
* I built one Moderne that had the standard, 8 digit serial number,
* I built one with a 8 xxxx serial number.

Thanks!

I have been collecting Moderne serial numbers and the photos of the guitars that go with them for probably 8 years now.

The 8 digits were first correct? DO you have any idea what the first Moderne was?

I think it might have been 82112017 Prototype which was black. I have a photo of Bruce Bolen in an office with a black Moderne hanging on the wall. I was curious if the black one was the first and if that serial was that guitar.

Would love to pick your brain on this someday. Would you be interested in talking outside of the forum?

Thank you so much for sharing your info. this is indeed a VERY good thread.

Strings Jr.

I have been collecting Moderne serial numbers and the photos of the guitars that go with them for probably 8 years now.

The 8 digits were first correct? DO you have any idea what the first Moderne was?

I think it might have been 82112017 Prototype which was black. I have a photo of Bruce Bolen in an office with a black Moderne hanging on the wall. I was curious if the black one was the first and if that serial was that guitar.

Would love to pick your brain on this someday. Would you be interested in talking outside of the forum?

Thank you so much for sharing your info. this is indeed a VERY good thread.

82112017 would be a Kalamazoo guitar. I never saw any K-zoo prototypes.
However, the date code of that serial number is just a few months prior to
when Nashville started Moderne production, so it is possible.

Feel free to send me a PM or email anytime.

Thanks!

cweckii

Hello Strings Jr.

what about the Ixxx series Korina Explorers?
Have you built those too?

Thanks and very best cweckii

Strings Jr.

Hello Strings Jr.

If you're referring to the Heritage Series Korina Explorers from the 80's, yes I did.
They were great guitars!!

cweckii

Hello Strings Jr.

If you're referring to the Heritage Series Korina Explorers from the 80's, yes I did.
They were great guitars!!

Thanks for your information on the Heritage Explorers (with the tulip tuner buttons).

Do you have any records which numbers you built and pictures to share - would like to see ...?

Best cweckii