• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'73 custom?

goonch

Ive recently gotten back into playing and got my '73? Custom out of storage. It's been in there for about 8 years.
It has some issue's that I would like to find out about and hopefully get a year on it. It's had a pretty hard life.
I bought it as a early 70's as the guy wasn't sure on dates. It weigh's 9.9 lbs
It has T Top's with patent number. I had them tested when I got the guitar Out put 7.7k & 7.93k.
Made in USA stamped on headstock, serial # 129070. Has a volute. Neck is 3 piece. Pot codes date to '73- 1377335.
Original nut been replaced with a brass one. Headstock may have been recoated.
I got it with a chainsaw case.
I am running through a Crate 80watt DSP with a 12 inch Fender speaker.
Is it worth it to replace the nut to original?
Thanks for any help.

g6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
g3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

g4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
g5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Progrocker111

Nice one :)

Interesting that it still has Black Sprague caps in combination with late 73 pots, probably changed. Do you like the tone? If so, leave it as it is - simple advice. :dude:

Big Al

Has a refret, (a good thing), late 70's speed knobs and case, I'm a fan of brass nuts and saddles, so all in all very cool. Needs a better amp though.:ganz

zacknorton

I'd say it would be worth it to get a better amp.

A Simple tube circuit Will make your lp custom happier.

ICR

In terms of originality, it will never have the original nut, unless you find it in the case somewhere.

The biggest improvements for my style of playing I made to my 1974 Custom were finding pickup covers, removing (but saving) the 300k pots and installing 500k pots and replacing the low frets with larger ones.

file-35.jpg

Big Al

The large frets are a must for me, too. I've refretted my main R9 with 6100's and that is what it takes to make me happy! I also go over the binding, makes a big difference IMO.

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

Nice guitar! I happen to like the "low-fret" Kalamazoo Customs.

To answer your question about replacing the nut... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

It was probably installed during the "brass nut craze" of the late 70's. Unless there is a playability issue (string spacing, low action) or some other hideous cosmetic concern (gap at veneer or fgbd.) I would not change it.

Just enjoy it :hank

richard henry

Banned
Love these early 70's Customs. My first decent guitar was a 74 Custom. The one that got away. :rofl