• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help With Purchase Please! 2012 LP Standard

BillyV

Greetings All,

I'm a newb (there I said it) and am considering buying a used LP Standard. I've never owned a LP but have lusted after them for years. I'd like to get some input from the group re: in general, overall quality of the 2012's. I would like to hear from owners of 2012's if possible. This model doesn't have coil tapping so has more of the 2011 year specs. I'd just like to know if 2012 is considered a good year or not. I'm in no rush to buy...I'm a patient guy.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

elephantman

I've got a 2012 Traditional that I really like. I wasn't crazy about the '57 Classic pickups, but they're growing on me.

One thing you'll hear about the 2012s is the 2-piece laminated fretboard, and how it foretells the end times (or words to that effect). I have done a re-fret on mine and it was fine. If it is a 2-piece board, it had no effect on my work, and it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything else (tone, feel, etc.)

My only real advice is to play it. Through your amp, if possible, so the guitar is the only unknown in the equation. Play it unplugged too, to see "how the wood sounds" (I know that's kinda touchy-feely stuff, but I can only feel how the wood is vibrating if there is no amp sound to distract). If it feels good and sounds good, then you have to figure out if it's worth the price. Also keep in mind that action can be fine tuned, pickups and other parts can be changed. What I look for is how the neck feels in my hand and how the wood vibrates.

If you can't play it in person, it's kind of a crap shoot. Sure, it's a Gibson Les Paul, so it's most likely going to be a really nice guitar, but whether it really "speaks" to you is an intangible thing.

WBailey

I've got a 2012 Traditional that I really like. I wasn't crazy about the '57 Classic pickups, but they're growing on me.

One thing you'll hear about the 2012s is the 2-piece laminated fretboard, and how it foretells the end times (or words to that effect). I have done a re-fret on mine and it was fine. If it is a 2-piece board, it had no effect on my work, and it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything else (tone, feel, etc.)

My only real advice is to play it. Through your amp, if possible, so the guitar is the only unknown in the equation. Play it unplugged too, to see "how the wood sounds" (I know that's kinda touchy-feely stuff, but I can only feel how the wood is vibrating if there is no amp sound to distract). If it feels good and sounds good, then you have to figure out if it's worth the price. Also keep in mind that action can be fine tuned, pickups and other parts can be changed. What I look for is how the neck feels in my hand and how the wood vibrates.

If you can't play it in person, it's kind of a crap shoot. Sure, it's a Gibson Les Paul, so it's most likely going to be a really nice guitar, but whether it really "speaks" to you is an intangible thing.

Can I ask, why ? Just curious. :hmm

To the OP; there are several threads on this topic. Put 2012 traditional in the advanced search box.:salude

elephantman

Can I ask, why ? Just curious. :hmm

Fair question.

1. I'm a budding luthier and I'm gaining experience. I've done frets on many cheapies and have recently moved on to more valuable instruments, and I'd rather work on mine than "learn" on someone else's cherished guitar.

2. I dislike nibs.

3. Stock frets on Les Pauls are taller and blockier than I like. I could grind & crown them, but as stated, I like the experience, and frankly I like doing refrets. I put on some wide, low frets, and it plays kinda like my '83 Moderne now (my benchmark guitar).

EFLOW

My 2012 Gibson SG Standard ebony fretboard. A perfect year :jim

gibson24.jpg